Home Again


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Mona Vale
January 19th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

MacaqueMacaqueMacaque

I think this guy was just as curious as we were.
Here we are safe and sound and home at last. What a wonderful bed and what a wonderful night's sleep. Thailand was really great. We had more time than we had originally planned and it worked out very well. One last glitch was at the airport when we found out that because we had made an alteration to our previous flight time someone had forgotten to tell them we wouldn't be flying at the original time. This meant we looked like a 'no show' and our subsequent booking for the final leg was cancelled and hence we had no booking. Luckily they put us on stand by and we picked up a couple of seats at the last minute.

When we go to the airport there was no shuttle bus. I made a call. They had us down for the wrong time. An hour or so later we were picked up and taken home. The dogs were ecstatic (and so were we). We gave them lots of cuddles and then we picked up Jesse from Newport.

Silas is still in Lake Louise and apparently having a pretty good time. I guess we'll see him when he's had enough snow and snowboarding and making hamburgers.

Even though we have traveled a fair bit we still made mistakes in the way we went about things and we learned a lot this time around. I'd like to share some of the goods and bads with you but it might have to wait a few days yet.

Note 1: When you buy a 'round the world' ticket you can change the dates and times of the flights but not the destinations or stopovers.

This is right and it works well but be warned; if you change one flight the airline may not inform intself that you are not on the originally booked flight, and then when you don't show up for it they cancel all your subsequent bookings. So it was that when we brought forward our flight from Madrid to Bangkok, the airline didn't update the details and when we go to the airport to fly the last leg home we were not booked on the plane. We were lucky and managed to get (separate) seats on standby just 45 minutes prior to departure. It's not good for the nerves. If you make a change be sure to contact the airline and re-confirm your forward flights.

Note 2: The Asia Hotel. I'm not sure if this applies to other hotels but although the Asia Hotel in Bangkok is a nice hotel beware of the following problem. When you book a double room from the airport 'Hotels' desk a double in the Asia Hotel will cost 2000b for a night including a really good buffet breakfast. When you turn up at the hotel after a few days in the countryside the the same room without the breakfast costs you 2800b. This defies all logic but it is absolutely true. Also the taxi from the airport to the Asia hotel costs 250b but the taxi from the hotel to airport costs 950b. Work that one out! If you can sneak your bags out without being accosted by the hotel 'taxi' man, go and find a taxi on the street somewhere, it's bound to be cheaper.

Note 3: Don't insult the King for two good reasons. 1. You will end up in jail. 2. He's a really good guy and has done some really neat deals for the people of Thailand.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb