New South Wales


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Leichhardt
January 1st 2018
Published: January 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our home for the last week of our Australian adventure was the southeast state of New South Wales. We spent a couple of days in the beautiful coastal town of Byron Bay; taking to the waves once more to further sharpen our surfing skills - at this rate we will be performing rescues when we arrive in Bondi Beach!

Next up was the sleepy town of Port Macquarie. It boasts several stunning beaches, each as impressive as the other, with a beautiful coastal walk linking them. There was a very large surf the day we visited so the water was once again a no go.

Having met hundreds of kangaroos since landing into Australia, we were keen to catch a glimpse of Australia's other indigenous animal - the koala. These guys are incredibly difficult to spot due to the fact that they sleep for 20 hours a day! In Port Macquarie, there is a Koala Hospital that helps with injured koalas so it was a great opportunity to support their cause and get to see a few!

Sydney was our final destination on our incredible journey through Australia. Having safely handed back Skippy we then set about exploring the famous sights around the city. We did the famous Coogee to Bondi coastal walk and it gave us a really good insight into the outdoors lifestyle that people in Sydney have. Coogee and Bronte beaches were packed with locals having their morning swim / run / walk / exercise class / coffee. Bondi beach seemed a more touristic spot but it was the perfect place to relax and do some sunbathing and people watching.

We spent a day walking around Darling Harbour, the Rocks and the iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. As we enjoyed some Sunday afternoon drinks in the Opera Bar overlooking the bridge and Opera house, we decided that of all the places we have visited since we left, Sydney or Melbourne are the only two we could picture ourselves living in.

And so our 2 months in Australia has come to an end and with it another chapter on our round the world adventure. We absolutely loved everything this huge continent has offered and also having access to lots of home comforts that we have missed since being away. We are in for a rude awakening when we land in South America! Mau may kiss her coffees goodbye!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A koala in the koala hospital, Port MacquarieA koala in the koala hospital, Port Macquarie
A koala in the koala hospital, Port Macquarie

Although the koala resembles a bear, they are in fact marsupials (a special kind of mammal that carries its young in its pouch).
Sydney Harbour Bridge in all its glory Sydney Harbour Bridge in all its glory
Sydney Harbour Bridge in all its glory

It's the world's largest (but not the longest) steel arch bridge with the top of the bridge standing 134m above the Harbour


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb