Extreme Layering. It's the ultimate winter sport!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Kings Cross
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Barossa ValleyBarossa ValleyBarossa Valley

A hard earned rest after a strenuous day of wine tasting!
Well this is our final Aussie blog. In just three sghort days time we’ll be flying off to summer! Well to Japan to be precise. Oh for those of you we haven’t told (which is almost everyone!) we’re coming home early. July 6th. Yay!

Since our last entry we’ve worked a bit, drunk a lot, did some karaoke (surprisingly this was before we were drunk!) and traveled greatly!

As the famous saying goes - when in Rome etc etc etc. So when in one of the biggest wine producing regions in the southern hemisphere it seemed an obvious choice to do a wine tasting tour. Instead of doing an organized wine tour we thought we’d team up with a few other people in our hostel, hire a car and do our own tailor made tour (which allows far more wineries to be visited!). The only slight problem was going to be the driving, until Jonny realized that he would get to play with a Subaru Impreza. This solved that problem sharpish.
So we headed out, visited about 8 wineries and by the end of it had enjoyed many a glass of Barossa’s finest (and some of the not
90 cent beer!90 cent beer!90 cent beer!

'nuff said!
so fine). And began to sound like real experts by the end of the day!

After leaving Adelaide it was off to Melbourne via the Great Ocean road. This was a great experience as corner after corner revealed more spectacular views. Unfortunately the camera battery died during the first day and we were unable to charge it so it was back to the trusty disposable camera- we looked very cool indeed next to the large selection of camera and gadgets on display at the beauty spots. This also means that we haven’t got any photos yet to show you, so you’ll just have to believe us!

In Melbourne the winter sport of extreme layering rose to new levels as Jill attempted to keep warm in the very chilly (read: bloody freezing) weather. This would involve wearing virtually every type of top she had in her rucksack (this also has the benefit of making one’s rucksack much lighter to carry!). Needless to say it was cold!
We spent the first day looking around the city and the ‘villages’ which make it up. These had a very ‘Brighton’ feel to them and reminded us of home! Aaah!
We went to
KaraokeKaraokeKaraoke

Torture for your ears!
St. Kilda, walked along the pier and promptly froze. We also went to the MCG to watch the Hawks vs. Swans. This was a highlight for Jonny as he wouldn’t shut up about going and kept pointing out the MCG whenever he saw it, which due to it’s size was quite often.

It was then onto Sydney, where we sit writing this.
Today we did the touristy thing and went to the Opera House and bridge. And then it rained so we came home for a cup of tea and some biscuits! We truly know how to live it up!

The rest of our time here is going to be spent catching up with Emmy and counting down the days to summer. Yay!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The 'GThe 'G
The 'G

The great sporting arena, from the outside!
SydneySydney
Sydney

There is a better picture, but we like this one. Look carefully into Jonny's lenses!


17th June 2007

See, I promised I'd read it!
Farewell guys, it was great catching up in Sydney. I was so sad to see you go. But hopefully our seperation wont be for too long (August, yay!). Have a blast in Japan. Hope Bob's really handy Japanese phrases will be of use (hee hee, no chance!) Em XXX

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb