Australia Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Hyde Park
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Australia Day - Tuesday 26th January

Tuesday 26th January was Australia Day, a day when Australians celebrate everything Australian, have a few drinks and a BBQ. We both had the day off work so decided to make the most of it and head to a couple of landmarks that epitomise Australia the most, the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge. First of all we headed to Hyde Park in the city centre. The roads round the park had been closed off and there was a festival atmosphere with live music, classic car displays, a big BBQ and kid’s entertainment. It was a scorcher of a day so after a little while we decided to head down to Circular Quay, home of the Opera House. It was very busy and there was a nice atmosphere. There were parachute displays and a flyover from a Qantas jumbo jet amongst other planes and we could also see the Harbour Bridge across the water. We went right up to the Opera House which looked very impressive, especially against the bright blue skies.

It was still very hot so we decided to head back, taking a walk through the Royal Botanical Gardens. When we
A bird in the reflection pool in Hyde ParkA bird in the reflection pool in Hyde ParkA bird in the reflection pool in Hyde Park

There are loads of these big birds in Hyde Park
arrived back we joined the other 100’s of Aussies down at Clovelly Beach. It was great to cool off in the sea and we saw loads of fish.

Back at the flat we had some dinner and watched the start of Andrew Murray’s quarter final. To finish off our Australia Day headed down into Coogee to the Coogee Bay Hotel to watch Andy win his quarter final, have a few drinks and chat with a few Aussies and Irish. It was a nice way to round up a very good Australia Day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The friendly handshake!The friendly handshake!
The friendly handshake!

With an old style fireman


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb