Happy New year


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Harbourside
January 4th 2009
Published: January 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As you can no doubt tell, we decided to spend New Years eve on Sydney harbour and watch the fire works. We watched them from Mrs Macquaries chair which has a perfect view of the opera house and the bridge, on a normal day at least, as for new years eve the place was packed so the view wasn't quite 'perfect', but it was good all the same.

Most of the vantage points around the harbour, including Mrs Macquaries chair, were well organised and stewarded by the local council who had set up barriers and various entry restrictions, one such restriction was that we couldn't take our own alcohol in with us but we're far too rebelious (ha) to abide a rule like that so we took Larry's advice and filled a 2litre 'apple juice' bottle with cider and attempted to sneak it in. As it was the shaking of the bottle in our cool bag from walking along turned out to be too much for the useless cap and so when I felt my bottom start to get wet I immedietly knew what was up. So much for that idea, even if we had been able to get it in past the stewards there was no chance after the mini 'explosion', everything, including me stank of cider! So as it was we drank the cider in the queue to get in which we probably would have done anyway because it took us 4 1/2 hours to get in!! Four and half hours is a long time to queue for anything especially in blistering heat but it turned out to be worth it.

The fire works were fantastic, they first went off at 9pm which was for the families and then again at 12, obviously. The early ones were good but the midnight ones were worth every minute that we had to wait in the queue, I have seen dozens of fire works displays but none like Sydney's new years display! They were every bit as spectacular as I imagined and for us seemed the perfect way to end the year which has been one of the most thrilling, life changing and exciting years either of us have ever experienced. We hope all our friends and family also had a great new years eve and can expect a very happy new year.

Love to all
Steve & Helen
xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb