Yep Still in Sydney


Advertisement
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Back again!

So we’re finally both working full time and really enjoying Sydney. It’s never boring even when it rains and so far Autumn is nicer than an Irish summer! We really turn into tourists at the weekend and our latest escapades have been lots of fun!!

There was the Easter Show a couple of weekends back which is a huge festival held each year in Sydney Olympic Park. The park is very impressive and it was great to see that it is still used every week and didn’t just go to waste once the Olympics were over.

There’s a few sports stadiums and they use them for aussie rules football and for rugby and the aquatic park is open for public swims and school swimming lessons and has a huge water park with slides and a wave pool inside it.

The Easter Show is hard to describe but I’ll give it a go anyway! It’s basically an agriculture-themed event with a huge fresh food market and animal shows where you can pet the pigs and goats. They were seriously smelly but the baby pigs were cute as hell! They have cow milking displays and a horse show. There are also food stalls like at Oxegen and bars and some live music.

There is a huge funfair twice the size of Funderland. There’s a dog show like crufts and a farm dog show. There is a kids area with toys and games to play with and to buy and you could add your own flavours to a slush puppy which was a fun novelty!

One building is called the show-bag arena where you can buy big bags of magazines or sweets or chocolate and they are very popular with the kids. And the big kids! They even sell shopping trolleys to help parents carry all the bags they buy for the kids. 😊 A woman I work with spent over $300 in two hours at the show. There is a Homewares and Garden section that is like the Ideal Home’s Exhibition that we have in the RDS every year.

Phew I’m running out of steam and there is still a lot more I haven’t mentioned. Oh and in the evening in the huge outdoor arena they have rally cars and motocross bikes and then a massive fireworks display. And guess what? It’s not just a one day event or even a weekend event, the show runs every day for almost three weeks!

We also went to the fish market and I was in my element. I hardly recognized any of the fish but the atmosphere was great. We didn’t get there early enough for the auction at 5am!!!! But hopefully we’ll get there some morning for the auction. It even inspired a fish dinner that Gareth really liked and there was no batter on the fish! I know - shock of the century!

We finally spent a day at the beach when we went to Manly.

It was cool to get the ferry across the harbour and the views of the city are amazing from the north shore. In Manly we found the best ice-cream parlour EVER! They had about 80 flavours and then they had self service toppings! Chocolate Toffee Caramel Colour Sprinkles Chocolate Flakes - the ice-creams were already pretty big but I think we added about an inch to the height just with hot caramel and sprinkles! I kept thinking ‘Kasia would love this!!!’ We had a few people almost trip over looking at us walking along with our giant ice-creams instead of where they were walking.

This past weekend we didn't even need to leave our balcony for the entertainment. The city celebrated 21years of Darling Harbour- a small tourist harbour which includes a park, playground, shopping centre and hotels- with a huge fireworks display which we watched from the comfort of our own private balcony 😊


Back soon <*_*>


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



7th May 2009

Bears
So.. how about them bears eh?? Big teeth and all....

Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0817s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb