A Three-Hour Walk in Watsons Bay and Vaucluse


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
August 14th 2008
Published: August 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post


Tracing the perimeters of spectacular South Head this walk touched on the area’s colonial connections and took in a variety of ocean and harbour side terrain, from headlands with sweeping views and crashing waves, to secluded coves, white sandy beaches and the streets of one of Sydney’s most desirable neighbourhoods.

We took the bus from Circular Quay to Macquarie Lighthouse at the start of the walk. The lighthouse is a copy of the country’s first lighthouse built in 1818 and it stands on the same site.

We took the walk northwards, passing by the Signal Station and following the Old South Head Road. We continued along the footpath, where a plaque marks the location of Australia’s worst maritime disaster. It was here that the migrant ship “Dunbar” crashed onto the rocks in a gale in 1857 with the loss of over 130 lives. There was one survivor who was hauled to safety up the treacherous cleft in the cliff face known as Jacob’s Ladder.

From here we followed a descending path, arriving at the turbulent seas and jutting stony ledges of The Gap. The “Dunbar’s” anchor is here set in concrete.

We took steps down from The Gap into the entrance of Sydney Harbour National Park. The single-lane roadway lead us through natural bush land into HMAS Watson Military Reserve.

From here there were spectacular views of the North Head and the Pacific Ocean.

We resumed our walk by taking the road out of the reserve and following the street to its end and onto Camp Cove Beach. It was here in 1788 that Captain Arthur Phillip first stepped ashore after leaving Botany Bay to explore the coastline.

From Camp Cove Beach we climbed stairs to Laings Point, a defence post in WWII. A net stretching across the harbour mouth was anchored here to prevent enemy ships entering.

We continued to Marine Parade and Wharf Beach in Watsons Bay. Named after Robert Watson of the First Fleet’s “Sirius”, this was once first port of call for ships entering the harbour. Nearby, Doyle’s restaurant offers seafood with a view - we stopped for a while here just admiring the beautiful and peaceful surrounds.

We then followed the parade past the baths and tea rooms. We saw the pilot boats that are moored here and which guide the cruise and container ships into the harbour.

We then continued to secluded Gibsons Beach, taking a footpath which lead us through native shrubbery. We turned into The Crescent, tracing the curve of this exclusive street around to Parsley Bay - a real delight!!

A short descent opened onto a suspension bridge hung across the waters of tranquil Parsley Bay.
We crossed the bridge and followed the pathway between two houses to arrive at the extravagant Vaucluse House, surrounded by exotic gardens.

We finished our walk by making our way along to Nielsen Park and Shark Bay. Shark Bay is protected from its namesake by a netted enclosure, the natural setting and safe waters of this beach made for a fitting end to the best of our walks yet!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb