First weekend in Sydney...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
July 12th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday 4th July we spent the day unpacking, getting to know the dogs and familiarising ourselves with our new surroundings. There are a couple of parks close by which are ideal for walking the dogs. We were surprised to see parrots flying around and other birds which we didn't recognise and which were quite vocal! The plant life is also quite tropical and the fact that the leaves are still on the trees even though here it is mid-winter made us realise that we are far from home. We are still finding it hard to believe we are actually in Australia despite the novel birdlife and unusual flora and fauna. The apartment is in a great location, we have parks, water, coffee shops, harbour-side cafes, supermarkets and restaurants all within minutes of the apartment building - all very different to our rural location back in France.

On Saturday there was the monthly Pyrmont market so we made our way to that and browsed the stalls enjoying the "winter" sunshine and savouring the smells, noises and general relaxed atmosphere - we took the dogs with us and they thought it was great fun, especially the small children holding food inches from their noses! In spite of this temptation they were very well behaved. We bought salmon and seawood sausages (really!) and also some lovely fruit. All of the produce was locally produced and exceptional value for money. We will look forward to the next one in August.

From the market we headed to Darling Harbour - we had a look around the replica of the "Endeavour" and we wandered leisurely along the waterside taking in the views. We continued to stroll through the Chinese Gardens and we saw a number of Ibis - a long beaked bird which reminds us a little of the vulture! We returned via the Pyrmont Bridge (a walking bridge and from where there are great views of the harbour), it swung whilst we were on it so we had to run to get thorugh the gates before they closed them, a close shave but we made it!

Sunday 5th July we made our way to The Rocks - this area of Sydney offers visitors a taste of Sydney's past but it is a far cry from the time, less than 100 years ago, when most inhabitants lived in rat-infested slums and gangs ruled its streets. Now scrubbed and polished, The Rocks forms part of the colourful promenade from the Sydney Harbour Bridge to the spectacular Opera House.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb