The Best of Bondi - 20 years of inside information!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Bondi Beach
November 22nd 2010
Published: November 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bondi CliffBondi CliffBondi Cliff

Guys attatch a rope to the top so they can climb up and down. AHHHH MASCULINITY!!!
This isn't advice I read in a book. I haven't collated meaningless crap from the internet. These are the tips I've acquired over the past 20 years by living, eating and breathing Bondi. Travelling is my number one priority. My constant quest to skip Australian shores means I constantly overlook the fact that I live on perhaps the most famous beach in the world - Bondi. Located on Sydney’s East coast, it's one of Australia's most prized possessions and simply put, my own backyard.

Japanese tourists arrive by the bus load, as foreign to the beach as the Aussie Battler is to the Kimono. It's an easy conclusion to come to as a horde of Asian tourists run down the beach dressed in suits, shielding their sizzling skin with umbrellas. Still, give them some credit... they got off the bus! The burning sun can shrivel your skin like a raison so be sure to slip slop slap. That’s Australian for sunscreen. Remember to stay hydrated. We do it well. The best bottle shop in Bondi is Nirvana Beach Liquor. Their international beer fridge harbours 50 of the world’s best brews and if you’re from a beer drinking nation, you'll find your native flavour here!

There are only a few 'must do's' in Bondi that don't involve the beach:
-Hurricane's Steak and Grill is one of them! The full rack of ribs from this place is phenomenal. The sheer size of the meal pauses the conversations of customers who stare in awe at the challenge they are about to face. I don't care who you are... this meal is anyone's Everest!
- The Coast Walk. A path that follows the coast, connecting three beaches: Bondi, Tamarama and Bronte. Although summer is the best time to go, if you're in Bondi over Winter or Spring, you might be lucky enough to spot Humpback whales migrating up North. Or you could even catch the annual Sculpture by the Sea, where a number of artists fill the walk with thought provoking sculptures.
- Bondi markets. On every Sunday, there is a strong bohemian feel and care free attitude. People wander the small alleyways barefooted, slowly floating from store to store as the day passes by.
- Aquabumps. I advise any art lovers coming to Bondi go take a look. They are some of the best photographs I've ever seen. He also has a website. Google it!

Perhaps the biggest local tip I could give about Bondi is to branch out a little bit. Of course, if you're travelling it's a must see. But if you have time to explore the surrounding beach getaways, like Bronte and Tamarama, I say go for it! They remind me of what Bondi was like before you all discovered it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb