A day early or a day too late? Overexcitement is dangerous


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Parkes
January 7th 2009
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As a relatively small person, I am quite enjoying sleeping in my little bunk bed that makes me feel like Gulliver. The mattress is less than posturepedic and leaving the AC on at night led to the cabin becoming as cold as your bottleo. Unfortunately, I did not have one of those green quilted jump suits worn by the Jewells Employees.

Anyway, today we strayed into Parkes. It is quite a small town. 10,000.00 people which will basically double over the weekend.

We stopped at the Dish. I am sure I have been to it as a small boy but it has faded in my recollection. It is actually quite impressive to realise that the moon landing was broadcast through and even more amazing to realise that bloke from the M & M's commercial appeared in a movie here.

Then we went into town. Located ELVIS Central. Bought a program. Chad talked the ladies into releasing a commerative beer cooler and tea towel out a day early. The people are very friendly and the freaks are already coming in. Thank goodness, they are my people. I love them.

I have always found Elvis' appeal to the mentally ill and disabled challenging. Some may cyncially say that this is why I enjoy the music so much but I suspect it is all about the colour and movement that the king brought. Jumpsuits rule. They should be part of every day attire.

Enjoyed a potter around Parkes. Located the pool. The movies. The bowlo where we met Maurice who used to be a cop and whose wife took a lot of his payout when he divorced her. Happy times. A word of warning, only buy beer in the glass from the leagues club. It clearly somewhat lousy out of the taps. A good meal can be had at a cafe which is for sale and which we are unaware of the name.
However, Daniel is planning to have the lamb burger there tomorrow and details will follow.

We visited the muesum where the Wiggles Guy, who clearly has far too much money, has donated a lot of his elvis stuff. Jumpsuits, taking care of business karate attire and possibly the last set list written by Elvis at about 2.00 am on the day prior to his death. People were payin $120.00 for a piece of bed sheet that Priscilla and Elvis had slept on at their Beverly Hills pad. Daniel was tempted but resisted. It has a shroud of Turin feel although it was endorsed by Priscilla.

Still now word on the Miss Priscilla ball which is tomorrow night. Looks like we are a bust.

Elvis Facts:


Elvis's idol was General Douglas MacArthur.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb