Moonbis to Parkes


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Parkes
March 27th 2019
Published: August 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Waking up under the "Big Chook"Waking up under the "Big Chook"Waking up under the "Big Chook"

Hope it doesn't do poopsies on our Van
After a good nights sleep we awoke under the watchful eye and protection of the ""Big Moonbi Chook", cruising into road life we were relaxed as we enjoyed our fruit and yoghurt breakfast in the early autumnal sun as we planned the charts for the days travel. We were up for a big day of road trip, first south to Tamworth, head west via the Warrumbungles along the western plains to Gilgandra, turn south, roll the dice and find out where we end up for the night. Travelling west along the plains it was evident the crippling effects the drought was having on the western foodbowl. Hungry underfed cattle and sheep, massive dust storms blowing precious topsoil to who knows where. The effects of a changing climate puts Dorothy Mackellars "A sunburnt country on steroids!

Just out of Gunnedah we tuned into Radio National to hear an amusing Icelandic story of 1st march being National Beer Day. The amber nectar was banned from public consumption for Icelandians for 74 years until March the 1st 1989. We had many a good chuckle hearing the outrageous stories of locals celebrating their national beer day. It is always refreshing to finally see the
Breakfast Day 2, in Big Chook ParkBreakfast Day 2, in Big Chook ParkBreakfast Day 2, in Big Chook Park

Bottom of the Moonbi Ranges
mountainous Warrumbungles, with a glimpse of the distant Siding Springs telescope straddling one of the volcanic peaks. Heading west to Gilgandra, we were in need of a caffeine hit, so off the highway bypass and into the old town we went in search of much needed cappuccino. Late Saturday arvo we were pushing our luck with most of the towns shops closed for the weekend, however we happened to stumble across a great little retro coffee shop. Step inside to revo retro heaven, the booths were fitted out with iconic sport car boots for the seats, racing red GTHO Falcon, canary Holden Monaro, and other assorted cars from the 60's and 70's. plush upholstery, they were really well fitted out.Great coffee too and just for good measure we scored a free cheesecake each, ah! country hospitality at its finest. One never knows what one might find in a sleepy country town just off the highway. After a good hit of caffeine, it was southbound from Gilgandra, where we leave the undulating hills and distant mountain vistas for more of the flat western plains. 100 ks to the south and we arrived at Dubbo. but I think we can make a few more miles yet, caffeine s still kickin' in.

Leaving Dubbo in the late afternoon,we were on the lookout for a nights camping spot, we ended up in a top rest area just north of Parkes, Flush toilets, town water, nice big area to set up camp. Fellow travellers in Two R.Vs were enjoying "Happy hour. so after we set up our camp, we folded up our deck chairs, drinks in hand and mosied on over to introduce ourselves to our new vagabond neighbours. Bill and Judy were full time on the road and were heading to Murray river country in their big daddy RV, Rosie was a solo traveller and became a tag along as she was new to life on the road in her new R.V. The joys of happy hour and life on the wallaby. Sit back and relax, share our stories of our travels of the road over a few coldies and the obligatory cheese and bikkies. As the long time sun was descending over the distant hills. A blazing red sunset, became the time bell, it felt really good to finally get the sense that we too had now covered enough tarmac to be serious touros. and how good is it,to be on the road again. back at camp Morningbird rustled up some Italian pasta, while Little flower set the table with candles, bush flowers, good bottle of red, it was so gooood to be sitting back under the awning, watching the western plains sunset as roos, hares and assorted avians were also settling down for the night. Twilight descending and the golden sun greeting the other side of the world, it was time to pack up and head inside the R.V to settle in for the night and reflect upon our long days travels, over 500ks from the lonesome Moonbi Chook.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb