Easter at Norah Head


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Noraville
April 5th 2012
Published: April 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-languageƐ mso-fareast-languageƐ mso-bidi-languageƐ}
After two weeks of free-camping, it was time to experience some civilisation again. Having decided to make some modifications and additions to our van, this was the perfect time to go and stay at a caravan park again. So we made a trip via “Terrigal Metal by the Meter & Bolts by the Bag” (the equivalent of a lolly shop for Dean) and set off in search of somewhere to stay. With NSW schools breaking up for a fortnight’s holiday, we were extremely lucky to get the last remaining powered site at a caravan park in Norah Head.Being Easter, it was quite extortionate but, on this occasion, we felt it was justified.

Over the next day, Dean built a fantastic steel frame for the roof of our van, to give us more storage space for water, fuel, the bikes etc. As my assistance was not required for the frame building, I went out cycling to explore the area. As a bona fide city girl, it had never occurred to me that the shops would be closed on Good Friday… but I soon realised and, what had started as a task to pick up fresh veggies for dinner whilst I was out cycling, turned into a major mission. 25km and a lot of sweat later, I found the one and only fruit & veg shop that was open. It was a nice (and hilly!) ride though and crossing the bridge which separates Lake Budgewoi and Lake Tuggerah gives you lovely 360o views. There were quite a few people out and about and it struck me that there were a lot of young guys driving pimped utes with P-plates, tinted windows, loud stereos and bumper stickers. I guess we’re in rural NSW now…

On my return, the roof frame was complete. I never cease to be amazed and impressed at Dean’s know-how with all things DIY. Thanks so much for your hard work! The next day, a plank of plywood made our “mezzanine level” complete. Dean checked it for weight bearing and it passed the test. Later on, after checking emails etc in the van, I stepped outside to find that our bikes had been secured to the roof. Great things happen when you look away for a while! Now, without the bike rack on the back, we can open our boot whenever we like. The new arrangement brings our height to a grand 3.2 metres though, so we’ll need to look out for low bridges etc.

We also had a bit of a clear-out inside the van and got rid of a whole chest of drawers in order to put the fridge in a more convenient spot. I’m pleasantly surprised that we managed to whittle out three drawers of stuff that could be ditched or moved somewhere else.

Our time in Norah Head wouldn’t have been complete without a visit to the beach. There were a few surfers doing their thing and it was lovely to sink into the cool waves. As we travel north, the difference in the water temperature is actually becoming noticeable which is quite exciting. Not long and we’ll be perfectly happy to go scuba diving.

One of the nicest things about travelling/camping is that we’re outdoors so much, and I love seeing the stars at night. We have a book about all the constellations with us and it’s really interesting! For ages, I had been wondering which constellation is made up of a row of three bright stars and it turns out this is Orion’s Belt. The bit I find interesting about astronomy is the mythology behind the constellations. In Orion’s case, Greek mythology has it that this great hunter boasted he could kill all living beasts. The Earth goddess Gaea was alarmed by this claim and sent a scorpion (my sun sign Scorpio) to kill him. So you never get to see both Orion and Scorpio in the sky at the same time: when Scorpio rises in the east, Orion sinks defeated in the west; and when Orion rises in the East, Scorpio sets in the west (crushed into the earth by the healer Aesculapius who saves Orion’s life). Just thought I’d share that one :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb