Newcastle - its not that grim up north


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Newcastle
March 27th 2010
Published: March 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Headed North from Bondi and after a couple of hundred Kms the tank seemed to be letting us down already. He spluttered and coughed and jerked us around but maybe he just doesnt like the highways. We headed for a place called Newcastle which is apperently the 7th largest city in Australia but which is about as big as a very small town in the UK. Necastle does not however live up to its namesake in the UK, it has a very pretty beach (even if it is called nobbies head). It is a university town so there were lots fo young people around.

We camped at a place called Stockton, which was only across the water from Newcastle but it was a 20k drive or a short ferry ride. The campsite was a big step up from the roadside camping of Bondi and we even have electricty. I am starting to enjoy the Gypsy life and think I must have certainly been a Gypsy in a former life.

We layed on the beach and watched a little girl pull a dead shark out of the water (that was as big as her), it was only a baby and
Stockton beachStockton beachStockton beach

This was a few steps away form where the Van was parked.
at least the lifeguard told her to take it away from the swim area so as not to attract any more sharks! She walked down the beach with a prosession of kids follwing her shouting "is it still alive, is it still alive" Thankfully it wasn't.

Have found a new drink called coopers pale ale, very scrummy so plenty of those each night under the stars. It gets dark very early so we sit out play the guitar and drink bears before heading back to the tank for a good nights sleep. I now am learning "killing me softly" which Shenton says is a very good song for me to sing, I am not sure if he is being sarcastic, but surely not.

Spent the afternoon making curtains for the van so we have a little more privacy and dont have to use the towels. Our tank is starting to look very professional, it wil be a shame when we ahve to sell it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

DinnerDinner
Dinner

What pot noodle again???


30th March 2010

The Smiths
I love the fact you are making the van home with a bit of curtain making. Im gonna call you Calamity Jane from now on. A womans touch eh. Make sure Mr Smith doesn't use them to wipe himself. Missing you both. Love Shirely x

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb