The Blue Mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Lithgow
February 3rd 2019
Published: February 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

the three sistersthe three sistersthe three sisters

Blue Mountains
The following morning we left Manly just as the thunder and lightning broke - clearly wanted us to stay. After picking up the car we were off to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains by car.

Once there we thought we would do the Over Cliff, Under Cliff Walk to Wentworth Falls. 40 minutes in with thunder and lightning all around us we considered turning back - but we pressed on. 50 minutes in and the heavens opened with thunder, lightning torrential rain and huge hailstones. Out came the ponchos from our South America trip and back we went walking through rivers of water coming down the mountain. It looked like we were walking up waterfalls. Who said Australia was sunny!

Absolutely drenched we thought it was time to find our Airbnb. When we got there we were met by Jenn and their new dog Huxley, ( and later Andy who was from Birmingham!). Within 5 minutes it felt like we were all old friends - so much so we may come back and house sit for them in 2020 - who knows.

For dinner they recommended a couple of places but we went to Aunty Jacks - fantastic eclectic place set In the 1950/60’s, ducks flying up the wall etc.

Next day we met up with Rita, the one person that travelled the whole way with us on our G-adventures trip across South America.

We had a great couple of days with her, starting with breakfast at the Yellow Deli, a quasi new age cafe and then onto the Lone Bear art gallery (worth a visit) before shooting out to various lookout points in the Blue Mountains.

We took in the views across to the mountains and down into the valleys filled with incredibly tall trees ( which from where we were standing looked like forests of broccoli), before heading over to Lithgow where Rita lives.

The following day she drove us out along bouncy dirt roads for about an hour before arriving close to the Glowworm Tunnel. The weather was kinder to us and we had a lovely walk both through the woodland and beyond the tunnel, (we also saw a couple of native Lyres (birds) along the way).

The tunnel itself had water running through it and torches were needed to keep our footing. As soon as we got to a
just walkin in the rain....just walkin in the rain....just walkin in the rain....

Over cliff walk Blue Mountains
point where no external light was getting in, the torches were switched off and parts of the ceiling and walls we’re covered in so many spots of light that it was was something special to behold - a mini Milky Way and well worth the rocky drive.

That evening we went round to Rita’s friends Leo and Julie for a splash in the pool and good old Australian hospitality ie beer and a BBQ. A great evening ( and as a bonus the host Leo also supported Man Utd).

All too quickly we were leaving the Blue Mountains and Rita, but not before she took us to the Secret Creek for a coffee. As she then headed back we then set off for the Hunter Valley and our next stop.

Thanks again Rita for looking after us, it was great catching up, hope to see you in the UK!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb