Katoomba, Blue Mountians


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
December 22nd 2012
Published: December 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

SkyDrive ViewSkyDrive ViewSkyDrive View

This was the view from the SkyDrive as we travelled across.

Katoomba, Blue Mountains = breath taking





On Sunday 22nd November, 8 other aupairs and I aka European Flavour drove 2 hours to reach Katoomba a town in the mountains to hike and walk through nature.

It is by far the hardest workout I have ever done (You can imagine me walking to the top of a flaming mountain, red faced and heaving with jelly legs after about 5 minutes), We had so much fun because as much as it was a struggle we felt we had earnt the views when we reached them. The first trail took us up to Echo Point which is a huge lookout point with toliets and a shop as well as a lunch area and (thank God) some seats. However as we sat to rest we soon noticed people in sandles (thongs) and dresses, we were wondering how they managed the walk up here....then we saw the bus! We had hiked for about an hour to Echo Point and luckerly we hadn't been attacked by anything or lost anyone over the egde, so proud of ourselves and then these people are strutting about fresh as a daisy!

So from the beginning:
SkyDrive viewSkyDrive viewSkyDrive view

This is Katoomba falls from above.


We started our day at about 6.30am, packed a lunch etc and Riina and I (Finish aupair) who had stayed at mine, left Molong for Orange to collect the others, we got them and a coffee 😊 and headed out. It took 2 hours and we had some fun getting a car full of people up a mountain! We made it, met the others who had travelled in the other car and donned the mountain boots. I looked more sexy than I ever have, boots, backpack, hat and sweat resistant top!

We started the adventure from the ticket office where we took the SkyDrive, which is the only cablecar that only travels horizontially apparently. It takes about 5minutes to get across beacuse we stop in the middle to appreciate the views across to Orphan Rock and other mountain I can't remember and also looking through the glass floor we can see Katoomba falls from top to bottom.

Once we come off the SkyDrive we walked to a smaller waterfall and I had an Indianna Jones moment and climbed it! Riina and I climbed as far as we felt brave enough to, the new hiking boots worked a
SkyDrive viewSkyDrive viewSkyDrive view

Orphan Rock.
treat! From there we walked back and up towards Echo Point, I need to get a map to show you exactly how far my poor legs had to carry my fat bum! It probably felt a lot longer on foot than on a map, but when you have tried it, come talk to me 😊 We stopped at Echo Point for a breather and something small to eat, I ate an apple to be inkeeping with the extremely healthy day I was having, minus the coffee actually... Anyway we topped up on water and then from there headed across and up to the Three Sisters. The trails were fairly wide, not always flat, but managable until we reached the Three Sisters and we climbed down some very steep stairs. On which I nearly murdered the most annoying Chinese child as he refused to move out the way of anyone trying to get down stairs that were clearly made for two very small lines of traffic. So we finally made it down once the parents remember they were the adults, he was the child and we went to the bridge between the two and saw some amazing views! The wild was blowing in our hair and everything.

As we climbed up the stairs again I decided the child was lucky he wasn't in the way on the way up as I probably would have thrown him off, it was the hardest part by far and I was the first one so I couldn't stop for a break as I would held the traffic up.

From the there we headed back down to Echo Point for an ice pole (ice block) and another rest as we debated if we could make the walk back or if we should get the bus. The majority ruled and we headed back down the trail which seemed much shorter this time. As we headed back across the SkyDrive we could see the Three Sisters and we realised just how far we had walked, Kaddy (German) had jelly legs that were literally shaking by this point. We would usually have had a choice of taking the Cablecar or Railway down to the bottom towards the rainforest trails, but the Cablecar was out of action so we took the Railway, which had been recommended anyway so we were happy.

The Railway heads down at a 51 degree angle and very fast. We fit 4 in a row on chairs that you fell into as they were leaning so far back and we didn't have a great deal of space as above our head was wire fencing to keep us in. It headed down the mountain and through it into pitch black at one stage, but it allowed us to see some amazing views and also as the mountains are filled with old mines there are various old machines left in the forest for people to see. As well as the machinary from the first railway which carried less people and was at less of an angle. In the rainforest there is a choice of 3 walks, 10 mins, 30mins and 50mins. We decided to do all of them and we all appreciated the surroundings, rather than the trail heading around the mountian like the first trails, this one was at the base so we walked through the rainforest. We spent about an hour doing all the walks and saw some really strange looking animals as well as the rainforest room, which Kaddy would like to be married in. I'd like to see her make the
SkyDrive viewSkyDrive viewSkyDrive view

Katoomba falls.
walk there in a wedding dress. We headed around (eating popcorn) and saw various trees that had been struck by lightening in the 1800's which were still standing amazingly enough although they were completely hollow and burnt black inside.

As we headed back to the Railway we went past some old mine entrances which had information about the history of the mountain and what and how it was used. The mountains are so big, its so hard to comprehend as we have nothing or at least I haven't seen anything like it in England.

After a quick stop at Red Rooster we headed back home, I was driving in the dark for most of it and I was so tired by the time I reached home. I was aching from head to foot so Harry gave me a back massage, bless him.

All in all Katoomba was amazing and I think Valentina and I will go back to do some horseriding through a different bit.

The next weekend I went to Canberra and had a brilliant time, I'll write about that next 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

SkyDrive viewSkyDrive view
SkyDrive view

Can you see the crazy rock climbers!
Echo PointEcho Point
Echo Point

MAN DOWN!
Echo Point Echo Point
Echo Point

The lookout.
Three Sisters Three Sisters
Three Sisters

This is the view from the Three Sister as you stand between them
Three Sisters Three Sisters
Three Sisters

View from the trail.
Three SistersThree Sisters
Three Sisters

Heading down the very steep steps!
Three SistersThree Sisters
Three Sisters

On the trail.
Three SistersThree Sisters
Three Sisters

On the trai there.
Three Sisters Three Sisters
Three Sisters

View from between the sisters.
Three SistersThree Sisters
Three Sisters

Small lookout on the trails. Valentina, Viktoria, Riina and Anna. Italian, Icelandic, Finish and German :)
RailwayRailway
Railway

From inside, Nicola and Riina are 2 rows ahead.
RailwayRailway
Railway

Coming down the Railway.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb