Blue blue mountains


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Katoomba
March 11th 2009
Published: March 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Sydney we took the short 2 hour train journey to Katoomba, inland and west of the city. It is the gteway to the Blue mountains, a huge area of amazing canyons, gorges and countryside. We checked into our hostel, The Flying Fox and got stared at for ages by 2 guests, very odd, it is a bit like a place out of ´The league of Gentlemen´. Anyway, dumped the bags and got out quick before they freaked us out too mucjçh and headed down to Echo point to discover a walk we could do that afternoon. We settled on the rainforest walk, an hour and a half up and down mission into nd round the valley. It starts with a descent of 960 steps to the valley base, some are metal stairs that have been screwed into the side of the mountain with a few hundred metre drop below, quite unsettling, but we managed to survive. The views on the way down are spectacular as you pass through the canopy of the trees, you can see for miles and it is absolutely stunning. After about 1-2 an hour of panting we made it to the bottom, where as has been typical so far in Australia, the heavens opened and we were left with a 1 hour walk through the rainforest in the rain, quite apt really. It didn´t matter to much as it is so dense not much rain actually gets through to the valley floor, so we didn´t get too wet. The walk is dead easy (after the stairs) and again the scenery is picture postcard stuff, culminating in the Katoomba falls, which with the added rainfall, were gushing down the mountain. At the end of the walk you have the option of climbing 1040 steps (no thanks) back to the top, or getting a furnicular for 10 dollars. We took the easy option and got the train, it is the steepest in the world with an incline of 52 degrees at some points, it really feels like you are going to fall out as it is not enclosed and the drag is really taught, so much in so you are convinced the wire pulling you up will snap at any minute, thankfully it didn´t and we made it back. Back at the hostel and we set our tent up for the night, just before the biggest thunder storm I have seen in years began, I think we may get washed off the side of the mountain if it carries on, oh it´s always sunny in Autralia!!!!!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th March 2009

I found it
After 2 months of you guys not being around i have a) Realised that you have left the country b) discovered that you have a blog and c) Jo has told me where it is So AGH-HA as Partridge would say!! I must point out that it is quite depressing to read about your travels, when you have a gallon of snot cemented in your nose. However it sounds like an absolute peach of some travels and looking forward to the next installment. The places you been sound well nice. I enjoyed the bit about the desert being not empty and being full of animals and stories, really strong symbolism there, i felt that i was at one with the "land", that is "Kingsland" Dalston. I was sad not to hear about you eating wichita grubs, but here is hoping that guinea pig is on the menu, i would like a before and after photo, perhaps Mr Olof munching on a guinea pig!! I hope that you manage to catch a Boca juniors game. I expect that you will bar me now from deflowering your blog, so keep on trekking gang sounds quality. Love Brucey

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb