Canberra/Jindabyne/Tumut/Cobram Caravan Trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Jindabyne
October 21st 2015
Published: October 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 Part 2 (18/10/2015)

After dinner went to the Telstra Tower for some awesome views of Canberra. Unfortunately Parliament House was not lit up, so was hard to find it. Managed to get one excellent photo of the bridge across Lake Burley Griffin.



Day 5 (19/10/2015)

Today we went to the National Zoo & Aquarium in Canberra. This zoo is magnificently set out with easy to follow trails. While they do not keep every animal, the zoo is undergoing further expansion.

Highlights for me were the Meerkats; cheeky as ever & hamming it up for photos. Also the Fairy Penguins who just happened to want to indulge in sexual romps when I started taking photos!

We also spoke with a woman visiting from Paris who owns a Bed & Breakfast accommodation charging 75 Euros a night. If anyone is considering a trip to Paris, ask me for details.

This ended our stay in Canberra & would certainly like to visit there again.



Day 6 (20/10/2015)

Departed Canberra at 9.50AM & arrived in Jindabyne at 12.05PM.

Went for an evening walk as the storm clouds gathered. “The clouds are too high, we will get back before it rains” Bob infamously utters, leaving the annexe windows open. Down it poured while we were out, thunder & lightning keeping us under cover before walking back to the caravan in light rain to find our chairs saturated.

Into bed for an extremely sound sleep.



Day 7 (21/10/2015)

Woke up early to a cooler day & decided to head up into the snowfields in Perisher Valley, taking in Charlottes Pass, Smiggins Holes & Guthega.

We hopped out of the car at Charlottes Pass (1860M) with the car showing 11C. Outside it was a wind chill of -4C. Deb got pelted with snow before she knew what was going on with Bob running off laughing. Considering the warmer temperatures in the days prior, the amount of snow still around was wonderful.

Fantastic views, great photos & the feeling of snow for the first time were something we will never forget. It was an awesome morning despite the rain constantly interrupting our viewing of the snow.

Went to the Gaden Trout Hatchery in the afternoon, taking the guided tour. Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Brook Trout & Atlantic Salmon are all bred at this facility.

Each pond had a feeding session, resulting in wet clothes from the frenzied splashes as the fish scoffed the food. There were also acrobatic leaps from the Rainbow Trout who were keen to put on a spectacular aerial show.

Nice to see how the money from fishing licences is spent. Now all I need do is catch some of them!

Filled up with petrol in Jindabyne (highway robbery!):

$1.42.9/L 54.67L 472.8KM 12.1L/100KM


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb