Jugiong / Berry / Nowra / Jervis Bay, NSW


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Jervis Bay
February 7th 2011
Published: March 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

2/02/11 - 8/02/11


Hmmm, what a whirlwind we have just popped out of!

Leaving Porepunkah, we stopped off at Bright to have a look and then continued up towards NSW. Crossed the border once again and travelled straight into a terrible storm. We stopped at a very little town not far from Gundagai called Jugiong. We knew a storm was close so we set up as quickly as possible (not quick enough!) and watched the weather radar very closely. The storm was pretty terrifying - wasn't so much the torrential rain that was worrying us, but the galeforce winds. There were trees coming down with the force of the wind and the local council was out that night trying to clear the roads of fallen trees and debris. After we set up camp, we took refuge in the local tavern which was close to the campground. We needed shelter and didn't feel safe with only canvas between us and the storm. After dinner, we arrived back at the tent (surprised it was still standing to be honest) and knew it was going to be a long night. Within a minute of arriving back to the tent, Oscar had broken his wrist whilst mucking around with Reef so it was back to the tavern to get some ice and find out where the closest hospital was. Back on the road to Gundagai hospital - storm still raging, humidity enough to make you go insane and a poor little 1 year old with a sore arm - what a pleasant drive! It was the night from hell (putting it nicely) and when we finally got home late that night we were greeted with a plague of biting beetles that were so small they could penetrate fly screens. Stifling humidity, biting insects, severe storm and a toddler with a fractured wrist (we later found out it was fractured in two spots) meant no sleep for this little family.

We survived the storm and got Oscy to Goulburn hospital the following morning where an xray confirmed what we already suspected. First broken bone and not even 2 years old! After getting stuck in Goulburn (it's very hard to escape from this place), we headed to Berry and indulged in a cheap motel after our crappy previous night.

Berry is a beautiful little town and the drive down from Kangaroo Valley is breathtaking. After Berry, we spent 3 nights in a very unusual campground called the Nowra Wildlife Park. It's right on Shoalhaven River and there were peacocks roaming around and we spotted a shy wombat one night.

We got an unexpected visit from Hayley, Jaz, J and Rachel so spent a couple of nights at her parents holiday house at Bream Beach (Jervis Bay). It was so good to catch up with them and for the kids to hang out together. Thanks Hayley!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb