Greeting the Day


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Griffith
February 19th 2013
Published: February 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Darlington Point: Goanna Track

The area was used in the 1800's as a meeting place for tribes of indigenous people. After white men arrived in the 1830's the river was a major transport link for supplies to and from cities. During the 1930's this stretch of river was used as a common for 25 families, but bachelors had to live down the end with the Bunyip. The feared Bunyip hole still exists today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Early Morning Early Morning
Early Morning

All along the river are walking tracks, from the camp spot up stream and down stream. So far we have explored 4km either side of our camp.
Along the TrackAlong the Track
Along the Track

This was taken about 7.30am. Lilly gets Dave up around 6.30 to 7am and I find my feet some time thereafter. They keep each other company and I trot off. I love the morning colours.
Cockatoo FlockCockatoo Flock
Cockatoo Flock

I keep annoying these birds having an early morning grass feed. Watching them flock away is awesome. Other birds I see on my walk are Superb Parrot, Ducks, Ibis, Spoonbills but my favourite is the Yellow Rosella.
Goanna Walking TrackGoanna Walking Track
Goanna Walking Track

This 1.8km of track has been built by the aboriginal elders of the Wuradjuri Tribe to revegetate the banks and protect them from erosion. The little rest stops are great for a stretch and a quiet moment along the way.
Bike RideBike Ride
Bike Ride

Sometimes Dave comes with me but we ride our bikes and go further along dirt roads. Just lovely, passing these gorgeous Red Gums keeping us cool.
Tree LoveTree Love
Tree Love

Just more 'cause I luv em.
OMGOMG
OMG

This is this remnants of the old wharf. Quite a high bank and plenty of fallen trees. These kids were swinging off the rope and diving in. We figure they know the river.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb