Swansea, Gosford, Toronto


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Gosford
October 12th 2001
Published: September 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was an early start this morning, as we’re bound for Newcastle. We picked up Eileen and Vic again before we commence, and also stop off at Warringah Mall, so I could post my postcards to Mum and Dad, my friend Rob, and my two Nan's.

We took the Sydney to Newcastle Freeway for about an hour. It was a long, hot drive, and seemed like we were going into the desert. Once off the freeway we drove through Woy, Woy, and then Attelong. We pulled off the freeway once more, 91 km (57 miles) north of Sydney, where we arrived at Terrigal. This is home to an odd-shaped headland named Broken Head. The northern side of Broken Head is wide and flat, and is basically grassy parkland. However, the southern side is much different, as it rises dramatically over a very short distance, creating a steep slope, named ‘The Skillion’, also called ‘Kurawyba’ by the local Awabakal Aborigines. It is possible to walk to the summit, and I did; though it took a lot of energy. The walk up is worth it too, as there are some great ocean views. The lookout allows views south to First Point beyond Avoca Beach and north to Yumbool Point in Wyrrabalong National Point just south of The Entrance.

The Entrance is an attractive holiday resort, which lies on an arm of the sea between Lake Tuggerah and the Pacific, within the built-up area of Gosford. It is well equipped with amenities for holidaymakers.

We carried on driving along the Pacific Highway, through Wyong and Lake Munmorah, before entering Swansea. Swansea is situated on Lake Macquarie and lies 131 km (81 miles) north of Sydney, and is the largest town in the City of Lake Macquarie. Lake Macquarie is the largest coastal saltwater lake in the Southern Hemispshere, covering an area four times the size of Sydney Harbour. It is 24 km (15 miles) long, 3.2 km (2 miles) at its widest, and 9.7 m at its deepest. A total of 92 towns and villages make up the City of Lake Macquarie, including Belmont and Warner’s Bay, which is a place where I’d love to live when I’m a lot older. It was a quaint and historic looking little village right on the lake. It was picturesque, and life around here seemed easy going.

We stopped off at Toronto for a walk, and then we drove through Dora Creek, Morisset, Wyee, and Doyalson.

On the way home, we stopped off in Gosford for another bite to eat.

Gosford has a population of 129,000 people, and lies 85 km (53 miles) north of Sydney. It is the tourist centre of the Brisbane Water area and a favourite commuter town, with a good rail connection to Sydney. Gosford’s main attractions are the many attractive picnic areas and a reptile park. In the town itself is a small stone house of 1838, once occupied by the poet Henry Kendall in 1874-5.

We then made our way home.

Again, we were travelling back home during the rush hour and as there was only one major road to take to get where we wanted, we had to sit in a little traffic. On the way home we passed the domed Bahá’i Temple, at Ingleside, Mona Vale. It is set in beautiful and extensive gardens, and is one of only seven in the world. The Bahá’i faith teaches the unity of religion.

I stayed over Eileen and Vic’s tonight, which allowed Eileen to make a fuss of me, which I think she liked. I ended up getting to sleep at 12.30pm.

The weather today was sunny and a high of 25ºC (77°F).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb