Slow trip Toowoomba to Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Eden
March 14th 2014
Published: March 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hi blog followers.

Today I have done two blogs as a catch up again.

This one is from Eden on the south coast of NSW and our last stop before we cross over into Victoria.

We have visited Eden once before when we had our bus/motorhome, but then the weather was terrible and we had nothing but heavy rain and therefore we had not seen Eden in the greatest light.

I must say it was much better this time and very enjoyable. We did the usual thing and arrived in the van park early and set up camp (only takes us a few minutes now that we are seasoned caravaners) and then headed out to explore the town and surrounding area.

The Killer Whale museum was excellent and it is unbelievable to read how the Killer Whales (especially Old Tom, pod leader) rounded up and herded much bigger "Right Whales" into the harbour for the whalers to then harpoon and tow back to the whaling station. If Old Tom thought they were taking too long or were too slow, he would take the tow rope in his teeth and help them.

See the attached photo of his skeleton (after he died, not killed) and the rope marks in his teeth from doing this regularly.

To reward Old Tom and his fellow pod members, the whalers would leave the Right Whale float in the water and allow the Killer Whales to dine on the "Lips and Tongue" which were apparently whale delicacies.

Enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb