Day 168 - Yamba to Coffs Harbour (Moonee Beach)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
September 11th 2015
Published: September 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Moonee BeachMoonee BeachMoonee Beach

On the headland looking south towards Coffs
The coincidence that we were in the Coffs Harbour area when the premier rally event on the Australian calendar was being held had to be taken advantage of. The start of the event (World Rally Championship - Australian round) was on Lenny's birthday so it seemed feasible that we would take in some of the action while we were in Coffs.

And so, we went to the service park (where the cars are maintained and / or repaired during the event). Rally cars need to have tyres replaced twice a day or more so there is always something happening when the cars come in for service.

Of course, rallying is a high speed game and things can go wrong. One of the international teams had already pulled out of the event after a head-on collision with a log truck and while we were waiting for the cars to come and go, one of the top cars was brought back to the service park on the back of a tilt tray.

The international teams had already completed their service when we arrived but we watched the local guys go to work on their cars.

After that excitement, we
Rally AustraliaRally AustraliaRally Australia

WRC Drive - the service park
drove back to Moonee Beach (just north of Coffs) where we would stay for the next two nights. A council owned caravan park right on the beach with all of the amenities renewed including a new camp kitchen. We had a great view from our site which was the closest to the beach. We settled in and then decided to go for a walk to the bluff to see the surfers. We walked over a little bridge and then through a pocket of rainforest before coming out to a grassed bluff with views up and down the coast and out to the island and lighthouse. The grass was soft with flowers peeking up to catch the last of the afternoon sun. It's a really pretty spot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Rally AustraliaRally Australia
Rally Australia

Scott Pedder was an early casualty
Rally AustraliaRally Australia
Rally Australia

Molly Taylor - Australia's fastest woman on dirt and challenging the men
Rally AustraliaRally Australia
Rally Australia

A Hyundai i20 Rally Car (and its very quick)!
Rally AustraliaRally Australia
Rally Australia

Servicing a local car
Rally AustraliaRally Australia
Rally Australia

The Voilkswagen Rally Team listen to live coverage of the event. They look confident and relaxed.
Moonee BeachMoonee Beach
Moonee Beach

Looking north from Moonee Beach
Moonee BeachMoonee Beach
Moonee Beach

Daisies on the bluff
Moonee BeachMoonee Beach
Moonee Beach

Georgi in the rainforest
Moonee BeachMoonee Beach
Moonee Beach

The beach in front of the caravan park


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb