Brisbane to Perth - Emerald Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
February 12th 2013
Published: February 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We left Richard and Christine in their fab residence just off Surfers Paradise,,, an early start on our road trip to Perth... on 11th Feb and headed the short distance North to collect the campervan from Brisbane.

We found the depot and completed the paperwork whilst the customer services representative (Peter) brought the vehicle out to us for a quick inspection. We had done this before a couple of years back and accepted poor quality kit, not checking it properly .... and it was also going to be our home for a month so we went through it all thoroughly.

We were not impressed with the camping table and chairs and asked for them to be replaced. Well, 'Peter' had a complete headloss......He threw the table out of the van and across the yard followed by the chairs and started ranting about having a 'bad day!'

I'm obviously quite familiar with this kind of irrational behaviour after my years with Annie but it was still quite a shock!!!

He stormed off to replace these items and whilst he was away he obviously had time to reflect on his performance and the fact that the video cameras in the yard had captured it all. It would only take a word to the manager and Peter would be in the s**t!

He came back very apologetic & his tail between his legs..with brand new camping equipment and Mrs C decided to milk the situation by asking for new china cups, cutlery, crockery and saucepans.... and of course to replace the plastic wine glasses with real glasses!!! It was the first time ever we had had an upgrade on a campervan!

We had everything we needed for the month..... cooker, microwave, fridge, double bed and enough storage space. This was a to be a trip even most Aussies wouldn't do.

Anyway, we ditched the hire car and set off on the long journey to Perth along the Pacific Highway. After about 400km we decided to call it a day and simply turned off the road at a place called 'Emerald Beach' which Annie thought sounded nice and was only a short distance from the main highway. We had nothing booked but we found the most beautiful place with a camp site right on the beach... and only $29 per night for a powered pitch with swimming pool, internet and great facilities. It was amazing to find such a 'gem' by simply turning off the highway.

We only intended to stay for one night but ended up here for 2 nights. The sea was a beautiful green shade and it was easy to see how the area got its name. On the first morning we went for a walk alomng the beach and met 'Kevin', an old boy who had lived here for ever and insisted on taking us to see the old gold mine and pointing out other geological phenomena. His marriage advice was interesting ... give everything you own to your wife and put it all in her name.. she will never divorce you because women are mean & she'd have to give half back to you and she will lose out!

We also met two nice Irish couples who were travellers in the opposite direction from Sydney to Cairns. (Yes, nice Irish travellers!!) They too had been drawn to the place by the 'Emerald' name.

We loved this place and considered a third night but the weather turned cloudy and it was a long road ahead.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Kevin - a local!Kevin - a local!
Kevin - a local!

An unofficial tour guide


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb