free internet @ libraryCoffsHbr


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Monday May 1. Bush turkeys in the park and black-capped terns feeding in the shallow surf. Drying laundry at Nambucca heads. Birdfeather, white, drifts into car.
Tuesday May 2. Strolled at Nambucca beaches. Cars on sand for the first time. The odd fly appeared. Palms and vines, tropical plants start here. A warm balmyness in the air. Bananas!! Flew into Bellingen off the track, new flag haven, heofunum, heaven. Newcastle's jump continues. I'm now told to go Nimbin. Bellingen short but real sweet. Traded two stickers for internet half hour. That's four dollars worth hereabouts. And into Coffs Harbour. Big city, good lunch. Flags slow. Down at the harbour I encountered (at last) a yacht club brimming with boats and islands. The flag attracted an obviously drunk and aggressive guy. I went up to a million dollar power boat, wellheeled men and women drinking champaigne (to escape the drunk). One woman loved the design. They all effused over my 'crocs' which they all had (not on). The drunk drifted away sensing there were too many for him to take on. Later at the foot of Muttonbird Island (now connected by the marina to the mainland) I met two WIRES (wildlife rescue) women with six muttonbirds they were returning to the island for another chance at flying to the Phillipines (not west into town where they were found). Offered to carry one cage. I tramped to the far end and they were set free. One still had its baby fluff on the top of its head like some wild haircut. I saw crabs design dreamtime patterns in dots of sand balls on the beach, the cliffs and caves of the Nullarbour, vast tracts of country, traversible, if only you know it. A hawk hovering over a cliff. In one carpark, John was enthusiastic. Stickers, more stickers, a flag too. And I've seen hibiscus. Lichen on tree trunk tropical.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.158s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb