28th October


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
October 29th 2010
Published: October 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woke up to rain and black clouds at about 6:30am so rolled over and decided to give the whales a miss and catch up on some more sleep. All going well untill Mum woke me at 8am to say sun is shining lets go.....

So go we did, and what a morning we had. By the time we walked down to the jetty a few clouds had come over and things were looking a bit dicey! Anyway we were there and going what ever the weather (especially as mum had dragged me out of bed).

There wasn't many people on the boat and we managed to get seats right at the front. After about 10 mins to get out of the harbour our eyes were peeled and we were ready to see a whale. After about 20 mins of looking at the sea with me and mum going "What was that?" "Did you see that?" then the captain took a turn to the left and after a few minutes there was a huge fully grown female whale jumped out of the water in front of us. As we got closer we could tell there was more than one. It turned out there was a mother with her calf, the captain kept a distance of about 100meters as to not bother them. The whales changed direction and luck for us it was the way we needed to go. They were with us for about 1 hour with lots of activity very close to us. The calf even started to breach out of the water. Once we were close to the harbour again the mother started acting strange and the guide informed us there must be a male whale around and she was trying to tell him she had a headache!! It made the mother and calf come closer to the boat so for us a great way to finish the trip.

Trying to get a good picture (actually let alone a good picture just something other than water!) proved very difficult. Mum summed up her photography skills with not 1 or 2 but 47 pictures of splashes if she was lucky or just the ocean. Mum wants me to add that the boat was going up and down (i gave you all the benefit of the doubt and thought you were all smart enough to work that out) and there fore made it harder to get the pic.......

After the amazing trip in the morning we got back to camp for a bite of lunch and then a walk to the local shopping mall. Mum was in heaven with all the shops and me well as you all know I hate shopping, especially with a shopaholic.

Now i have to say even though getting dragged out of bed this morning did not seem like mothers best idea....... It turned out it probably was!! Thanks for that Mum.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



30th October 2010

Wow!!
Lucky you to have seen and photographed the whales. Well done. From both of us to both of you.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb