Off to Coffs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Coffs Harbour
October 18th 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Coffs HarbourCoffs HarbourCoffs Harbour

View from Muttonbird Island
Sat 6th Oct:
So we reached Port Macquarie yesterday, late afternoon, so booked into hostel, went out for dinner, then crashed. Checked out by 10am then headed upto Coffs Harbour. The YHA hostel was only 18 months old so facilities were great. I had a 4 bed dorm to myself which was even better. With all the anticipation of waiting for the rugby at 11pm, it was case of finding something to do, other than falling asleep. I got chatting to Caspar (and no he wasn't a ghost...) who happened to be Ozzie and bragging about the passion of Oz rugby and they were going to win. Best part of that night, rubbing his nose in it!!! Come on boys, you can go all the way!!!!

Sun 7th Oct:
Feeling a little tired from excitement of last night, and not hitting the hay til 130am, made the effort to head out and take a look around. As usual, the shoreline was stunning and I took a walk upto Muttonbird Island, for more views. Chilled evening and a few hands of Backpacker (awesome card game) then off to bed.

Mon 8th Oct:
We decided to stay 1 more day in
Bird on Muttonbird IslandBird on Muttonbird IslandBird on Muttonbird Island

Gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that its a Muttonbird....
Coffs. It had been quite hard going, staying just 1 or 2 nights here and there before rushing off to the next point, so we took a day out to gather our thoughts and make some plans. Our next port of call was Byron Bay, heading off on Tues am.

Tues 9th Oct:
We checked out and headed to the Big Banana, the banana plantation in Coffs. We got to tour the plantation and see the history of the banana. For something that's yellow this was surprisingly interesting, getting to see the bananas growing, whilst they're still straight and before they're sent to the bending machine!! It was really fun, although sampling more than 2 lady finger bananas was just greedy, too much yellow for me!
Travelling up to Byron Bay, we came across a town called Lawrence so we just had to stop and take a pic and I think you'll all appreciate my LOL comment when you see it!
From here we took the scenic route towards Byron and came across the most freakiest of weather (had to be worse than England, and that's saying something!!!) Driving along the road and looking into the fields was what
Working Out!!Working Out!!Working Out!!

Going bananas!!!
looked like a really low mist hovering just above the ground. As we got closer, it looked like there was snow on the road but on closer inspection turned out to be hailstones, massive ones!!!
The driving conditions became pretty dire, sometimes not being able to see more than a few metres ahead of me. This continued until we reached Lismore and then we realised how lucky we were to have missed the hailstorm. The parked cars all had dented bonnets from the hail, some windscreens were smashed and shop fronts were damaged, it was crazy!
Anyway, we continued on our journey to Byron and thankfully got there in 1 piece!!
Checked into another YHA and was sharing my room with 2 girls from England, Charlie and Lou, and Helen, from Oz (married to a Cornish guy!!)
We all headed out for some Indian that night, polished off a nice bottle of red, then over the road for a splash of vodka. Had a good nights sleep that night!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

BananasBananas
Bananas

Bananas, before they're sent to the banana bending machine! How cool!
A Town Called LawrenceA Town Called Lawrence
A Town Called Lawrence

A tidy town.....oh the irony!!!
Australia in October...Australia in October...
Australia in October...

Really!!! Looks more like England to me!!!
I kid you not!I kid you not!
I kid you not!

Home away from home


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb