The A Team


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
May 10th 2006
Published: May 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So here i am in Byron Bay, the most Easterly point in Australia. Just thought i'd update you all on the life and times of me!
Fraser Island was INCREDIBLE! The island was absolutely beautiful and the people i was with were a brilliant bunch so i couldn't have asked for much more!

Lisa's interesting travel fact no. 235 - Fraser is the worlds largest sand island and the only place on earth where rainforest grows out of the sand

I did a self drive trip so they put you into groups of about 10 and send you off to the island with a 4 wheel drive, some camping gear, some food and a map. Wasn't sure about the whole camping thing at first but it actually turned out to be really good fun. We would just pull up on the beach somewhere and get set up. Luckily the guys in the group were pretty hands on so us ladies didn't have to do much in the way of tent putting up, or even cooking for that matter as one was a chef! Evenings were then just spent tucking into the grub (which was great thanks Tom and Dan), playing a few drinking games and scaring off the Dingos. There are hundreds of Dingos on Fraser and you have to be mean to them so they don't get too used to humans apparently. They didn't really seem bothered what we did! Evenings were also spent seeing what unusual position Tom could fall asleep in. He has this amazing ability to fall asleep anywhere. In fact he once fell asleep in a nightclub standing up! Needless to say once he was sleeping there was plenty of opportunity for drawing on his face and burying him in the sand - Tee hee!!
Days were spent driving round to the various lakes on the island. They are all freshwater lakes and just the best place for swimming. You are in the middle of the island and out of nowhere appears this gorgeous clear lake surrounded by white sands. Plus cause the water is fresh you don't have to worry about the salt and the water actually tastes really nice! Most of the lakes have fish and turtles in them so diving down to swim with them was no problem. There is also a shipwreck on the beach. It is a ship called the Maheno. I don't know how it rocked up there but it was pretty cool to look at all the same. There is also a large Tiger Shark population around Fraser so we went up to this rock called Indian Heads where you can look down into the water and see all the sharks swimming around, plus some huge turtles and Rays.
Spent 3 days on Fraser altogether and just had the most amazing time. Thanks mainly to the brilliant bunch of people i was put with. Would love to meet up with them all again and recreate Fraser in the u.k (majority were english apart from the Belguin guy and Japanese girl who can barely speak English or each others language and yet have been going out for two months!!??). Probably should give you guys a quick shout out as i know you'll be reading this. Hey Kirsty, Jenna, Kristen, Sarah, Megumay, Tom, Dan, Chris, Etienne and Will - The A Team Rock. (The tour company called us group A so as you can guess that became the A Team pretty quickly)

I left Hervey Bay on Monday and we drove down to Brisbane, or BrisVegas as it is known to the aussies. Only stayed one night but did the pub quiz with the guys from the Oz bus so that was a good laugh.
Left BrisVegas Tuesday morning and we drove for a short while before stopping to wake ourselves up with a spot of Zorbing. For those of you that don't know Zorbing is where they put you in a giant inflatible ball and roll you down a hill - soooo much fun and highly recommend it. From there we headed to the town of Surfers Paradise which actually isn't that good for surfing but is pretty cool all the same. After Surfers it was time to pull into the alternative universe that is Nimbin. Nimbin is an old hippy community and is a pretty unique place. You cannot walk anywhere without being offered weed and 'cookies', but you really don't need to buy any as it is so readily smoked there that it just seems to hang in the air. I didn't go for the drugs but i did get in the hippy spirit and got my nose pierced! Was thinking about it for a while but finally plucked up the courage after talking to the really nice lady in the piercing studio. And don't worry its only a tiny stud, i don't not have a bull ring through my nose!!
Arrived in Byron Bay last night and went out for dinner with the guys from the bus at a really funny place called Cheeky Monkeys (Seriously cheap meals in this place like Bangers and Mash for $2 - about 75p!) and am staying in a really nice dorm. Actually come to think of it i am yet to find a really bad one (touch wood) so its all good and i am loving every second.

P.S. once again am having problems uploading the old piccies. This comp doesn't want to recognise my camera - arrgghhh!! oh well more for me to bore you with when i get back!! sorry!

Advertisement



16th May 2006

lisa of oz
sounds like your still having a gr8 time not got any piercingsanywhere else then just the nose eh you wontknow what to do with yourself after all your adventures time seems to be flying round really quickly and youll be back b4 you know it take care from the spanish mob

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb