SUNSHINE, BLUE SKIES @ A FESTIVAL TO COME


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
April 12th 2006
Published: April 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi, we are back again after having trouble with the travel diary system; we were logged out for over a week. Sorry to our loyal readers.

When we last spoke we were in Coffs Harbour where we enjoyed a nice week of constant sunshine and beautiful places. Linda even hired a car and we went on a nice trip to the nearby towns of Sawtell (on the coast) and Bellingen and Dorrigo in what Aussies call, the Hinterland.

We visited a Nature reserve near Dorrigo, which gave wonderful views out over the rainforests and mountain ranges that we had climbed to get there. Both of the towns were quiet, colonial style towns but very interesting nonetheless. The car hire worked in our favour in so much as we were able to use it the following morning to transport us and our backpacks to the bus stop to catch the bus to our next stop of Ballina.

We managed to book up a motel for the three nights of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Although quite a nice place Ballina did not quite live up to our expectations and apart from an all day session on Saturday we had a quiet relaxing time. We did discover the financial benefits of eating and drinking at The RSL Club. Australia's equivalent of our British Legion/Ex Servicemen's clubs. Except these are very, very smart, quite salubrious and as I said very good value for money. We even had a Sunday Roast there! Bloody Marvellous.

Monday saw us arriving in Byron Bay. We had booked our accommodation in Byron way back in November and just as well. Everywhere here is booked up solid and charging extortionate rates over the Easter/Blues festival period. I probably don't have to tell anyone not to beleive everything that you read in adverts for things on the net, but our Studio flat is 'a 10 minute stroll to the beach and near to town' I don't think so! maybe a 10 minute sprint a la Linford Christie might get you somewhere close to the beach and the bus takes 15 minutes to get to town! Nuff said. The saving grace is that it is very close to the festival site.

We have spent yesterday and today lounging on the beach, having a few beers and last night had a very nice Thai Meal. The festival starts tomorrow and lasts for 5 days. Ken, in particular, is looking forward to it immensely.

Unfortunately we have forgotten to bring our USB link so we are unable to download any piccies. No fears, we will have some ready for the next instalment of our wonderful trip.

Hope you are all well and as always would love to hear from any and all of you.

Ken & Linda

Advertisement



12th April 2006

Big News!!!!!
Hi there hope alls well with you pair! sorry that we didn't get to call you before we left Oz but we seem to have lost Ken's number. we're in NZ now and loving it ALSO due to loving each other very much we got engaged!!!!!! the big proposal was made in Christchurch and we've been celebrating ever since. Have a brilliant time at the festival and hope to hear from you soon love and hugs Ruth-Anne and Chris
15th April 2006

Easter catch-up
Hi Ken Greetings from your fellow music crime partner! Trip just gets better and better? And a Blues Festival! I'll e-mail you from Kilkenny next, where the Rhythm and Roots Festival will be kicking off on 28th! Post some news from the Blues Festival! Just to make us all drool here in the Northern Hemisphere! Cheers Chris C

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0974s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb