An Amazing Sunrise and some Brilliant Bodyboarding


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
January 11th 2009
Published: January 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Me, Hat and the LighthouseMe, Hat and the LighthouseMe, Hat and the Lighthouse

Bear in mind it is only 5am!
11/1/09 = Sunrise and Bodyboarding...+ Happy Birthday Mum x

Don't know how much I slept last night, but it definitely wasn't much. Woke up straight away at 4:15am, either because was really excited, or more probably because had only just got to sleep anyway! Woke Hat up, then tiptoed round dark room getting ready. Few people milling around hostel, but were people just getting in from a night out, not people getting up for new day. Quick wash, quick teeth brush and even quicker dressed. Nearly ruined whole day when saw kitchen was locked. Precious croissants and jam, that had bought specially as a treat to watch sunrise, were locked behind bars in kitchen. Tried to shuffle gate and pick lock, but no good, food trapped. Good job that that had to run outide to catch taxi on time, because was just about to use emergency axe on gate.

Taxi on time at 4:45 and dropped us off at lighthouse = supposed to be one of best places to see a sunrise on whole of east coast. Was complete darkness when got there and none of us had thought to bring a decent torch...all I had planned was breakfast.
Me and the darknessMe and the darknessMe and the darkness

Excitement of waiting for the sun: a) To see how beautiful it looks b) To finally feel warm again!
Few people there when arrived, but none of us really knew where to go. Got my mini torch (with a v.mini light span) out and everyone seemed to follow us...great! Did go right way though and found the lighthouse sitting in complete darkness. Was absolutely freezing and not appreciating Debs advice right now that would be o.k. in a T-shirt. Good job brought my cardi, but short survival shorts were not a good choice! Also mad when turned camera on to find that was on low battery. Had checked last night and was 3 quarters full...just not a successful morning so far.

Was too dark to take any pictures, so sat against lighthouse and waited for sun to start breaking through. Was quite a few of us there and cool to be amongst it all. Didn't take long before things started happening. Sky started to lighten, could see clouds and then an orange glow appeared above water. Carried on watching and after 5mins and v.little change, started to get really disapointed that that was all we were going to see. Knew it wasn't a clear day and there were lots of clouds, but thought we would see more than that. Just about to walk off along beach when the good stuff started to happen. The sky started to glow and the big, orange ball of the sun started to rise out of the sea and get sucked into the sky. Looked amazing and everyone started getting really excited...especially me and Hat. Watched as it happened (only lasted about 5mins) and it made it all worthwhile 😊 Camera ran out = a shame, but managed to catch most of it. Headed off for our walk along beach then and noticed sign to say we were standing in the most Easterly point of Australia = cool.

Walk started as a trail and was a good lookout over ocean. Hat got bit by something, but didn't see what it was...hope it wasn't a spider or snake. Could see all surfers out for early morning waves; looked really cool. Even I felt a little bit envious...still not brave enough to do it though. Couldn't get on to beach when got there because tide was in way too much; just stood and watched it all for a while, which was really nice until started raining. Had to run for shelter. Like most Oz
The beginning of the lightThe beginning of the lightThe beginning of the light

Lots of photos coming your way...brace yourself...
rain, only lasted 5mins, so went back to beach and walked along road for a while until tide had gone out a little more. Beach was great in a morning...lots of people, but all surfers = v.cool. Strolled along until encountered minor problem = yet another creek of water flowing across beach and cutting it in 2. Saw some guys wading through it, so casually set off doing same. When water got to knees, was a little concerned, when got to thighs = worried, got to pants level and I was out of there! We had to walk all the way back through it, which took us another 10mins and tide just seemed to be coming in even more and water getting deeper. Nightmare! Looked back and saw that some people were swimming across it - unbelievable! Had to walk round it just to get back to land. Funny to see that loads of people were sleeping on beach, not in tents, just in sleeping bags - no Mum, I have never done that, so don't even start to worry about it.

Were v.late after all detours and rain and had missed shuttle, so had 40mins to kill before next one, which Hat filled nicely by buying a bacon sandwich. I was saving myself for long desired croissants. Sat and chilled in cafe for a while, then caught next shuttle at 8:40. town was totally deserted as we walked through, but still had a nice vibe. Byron is such a cool place. Had breakfast as soon as got back and got super excited to see there was an oven. Warmed croissants through, jam on and a lovely cup of tea. Delightful meal. Hat went back to bed then (something I can never do) and I caught up on bit of journal. Brilliant when fire alarm went off at 11, because woke Hat and Deb (who had also fallen asleep) up. All got ready for beach then, to follow through on original plan of body boarding for day. V.excited! Quick shower, changed, got body boards, then caught midday shuttle into town. Sun had come out now and was another beautiful day. Used free internet first (still alot of blog catching up to do), then headed to the beach, body boards at the ready. Found a space on beach, dumped our bags, then got straight in water.

Hat went out
Scenic shotScenic shotScenic shot

Always love a good bit of tree.
deep straight away and I decided to be brave and try it too. Wish I never had! Caught wave at wrong time; it swept over my head, buried me entirely under water, pulled me off board and completely spat me out. Was trapped under water for what felt like a life time and eventually came up totally paniced and out of breath. Came straight back to shallows then to catch my breath. Deb had seen it all and apparently Hat had caught wave in time and gone straight over my head. I stayed in shallows and middle area then; experience had really scared me. Even in more shallow water, current was really strong and kept pulling me off to side. Everyone had to keep getting back out of water and walking back up to 'flagged/safe' area of beach.

Soon got fed up of middle area, because was only catching small waves. Plucked up courage and paddled my way back out to deep water. Caught a brilliant wave straight away and sailed with it all way back into shallows. Excited again, so paddled straight back out again. Ended up out really deep this time, was only me, Hat, Deb and
Me and the morningMe and the morningMe and the morning

Yes...am shivering.
another boy out so deep. Couldn't see floor at all, let alone touch it. Was way too deep for me and nobody to get eaten by shark before me. Started to panic, so took my mind of it by talking and paddling to stay with current. Was really wierd being that deep. Water was totally still, much darker blue and all waves were breaking in front of us. Was v.eerie. Decided to stick with young boy had been talking to, because he was really friendly and looked like a bit of a pro. Turned out to be a good idea. As soon as he started paddling for a good wave, I copied him. Saw wave coming in and he seemed to wriggle his body to make sure he caught it right, so I did same. Was the best wave have ever caught. Was so strong and so quick. Went flying back into shallows and washed up straight on beach - brilliant! That was me done then; completely satisfied with ending to body boarding session and no way I will ever go out that deep in Oz waters again.

Laid on beach for a while and ended up falling asleep; didn't even realise I was tired. All fed up by 4, so headed back into town. Had bit more time on internet, then went back to hostel on 6:40 shuttle completely exhausted from day. Not really hungry, so had cereal dinner, then chilled out and played cards for a while. Went to bed at 9ish and tried to call Mum to wish her happy birthday (will protect her modesty and not reveal her age...). Emphasis on the word 'tried', because as usual, got answer machine! Are you a secret agent Mum? Went off to bed and rang again in 30mins and this time she finally answered phone. Was really nice to speak to her and wished I was home to share birthday with her. Love you Mum x

Off to bed then and annoyed that not tired again! What does it take for a girl to sleep!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Another great skyAnother great sky
Another great sky

Well...obviously same sky...just a different photo.


Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 34; qc: 165; dbt: 0.1888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb