having a "dread"ful time!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
February 18th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

first day they were done!!first day they were done!!first day they were done!!

nice and shiny.. unlike now!!!
Having a “dreadful” time!!

He he!! So as you can probably guess from the pictures… I’ve done something crazy to my hair!! Ive got dread locks!! Wooo!! But its not permanent, basically long dreadlocks are braided in to my hair!! Its cool… a bit heavy but so nice not having to worry about doing my hair in the morning or after a surf!!
I got them dome on Australia day (26th Jan) actually we had an awesome day, got up early in the morning and went for a surf, I then had to work 11 till 6. When I finished leighanne came round to do my hair, it only took a couple of hours and she had a pretty captivated audience! We then had some drinks with all of our housemates and hit cheeky monkeys!! It was a crazy night, everyone was in good spirits, with Australia flag tattoos and ultra violet body art!

On Monday night all of our mates randomly had the day and night off, so we decided to do something a bit exciting. 6 of us stocked up on beer and food, bundled into the car and went down to a little cove off the main beach. We surfed for a couple of hours… the waves were massive and the undercurrent was so strong you could hardly stand up in the shallow water. It was awesome, although gem did have a little disagreement with the rocks (and ended up worse)!! As the sun started to set, we went onto the grassy verge above the beach and had a barbeque and a few drinks. As we were sitting there, our barbeque was gate-crashed by a couple of little crabs, as the lads were messing around scaring us with them, a massive rhino beetle landed on Jodie!! (defiantly karma!!) ive attached a photo… you can see for yourself that it was massive!! Next to us were a group of people and a little band… with two women hula dancing! For some reason me and gem decided to get up and join in, much to the amusement of the others watching!!

On Tuesday, gemma and I had been asked to dance as coyote girls in Cheeky Monkeys. Basically Cheekys has themed partys every night of the week and Tuesday night is coyote ugly night (if you’ve seen the film, you’ll know what im talking about! If not it’s a bunch of girls scantily clad, dancing about on the bar) In the day time we went to cheekys and had about an hour to get together a dance routine on the stage! After we kind of knew what we were doing, we went into town and got water pistols!! Early evening we sorted our outfits out.. cowgirl style and cooked bangers and mash! We arrived in cheekys at half 8 and had to socialise with all the customers for a while, they gave me and gem a 75 dollar bar tab each, so that was pretty sweet!! We had to do a couple of games up on the stage and then at about 10 o clock, we got up onto the main stage and did our dance!! Luckily we remembered all our moves and it was really good fun!! All our mates came to watch and after and hour or so of “socialising” we had the rest of the night to party! It was awesome, we both kept the outfits on a night, and I had more drinks bought for me that night than my whole life put together!!!
(Needless to say, we had a pretty crazy night
me and gemme and gemme and gem

our random barbecue on the beach night!
and gem ended up going home early, and I followed soon after, escorted to the door by the security guard!!)

I haven’t had many hours at work this week as most backpackers have headed up the coast, so its been a pretty cool week of surfing and partying!! On Friday 1st it was Hayley’s birthday, she’s one of my housemates and has been pretty sick recently and so couldn’t drink so we decided to surprise her!! We knew she finished work at 2 so we blew up loads of balloons, got a cake and iced it and bought her a pair of shorts she wanted.. the room looked wicked, we had party poppers and everything!! We had invited some our friends round and at 2, they all hid around the room (Morag even hid in the freezer!!) Gem and I sat outside on our little bench and waited for her… she was ages but eventually I saw her walking down the road, she just caught sight of me so I couldn’t hide but I walked with her too the lounge and everyone jumped out and yelled “surprise”!! it was awesome!! Though to be fair, I think it was probably
artistic!artistic!artistic!

as the sun was setting
more fun preparing it all than the actual party!
After we had all eaten our fill of cake, we trooped down to the beach and had a really nice chilled out afternoon.. well, until we ht the surf!! I attempted to go out on Gabriels tiny surf board but it wasn’t really happening so we all went out to body board in the big waves at the back. Jodie borrowed my board to go out even further but just as I was going back in to shore I got caught in the rip… and I tell you its remorseless!! If I was on my board it would have been fine, but because I was out there unarmed I was getting flipped about like a pancake on shrove Tuesday!! The rip dragged me out and then this massive wave crashed down on top of me, I eventually turned up the right way and as soon as I got a breath of air, another one crashed down straight away… this happened a few times and I’m pretty sure I saw my life flash before my eyes!

I think I had just about got to my 9th birthday party, and about to open my main present when I finally escaped the rip!! (humm… quite disappointing as I would have liked to remember what I got that year!!)
Since being in Byron, Gemma and I have defiantly learnt our lesson about not trying to keep up with the big boys!!

That evening, we stayed on the beach till the sun set, and then wondered back home. We watched a couple of DVD’s and sat around like hippies making friendship bracelets! At midnight a few of our housemates came home from work and we all randomly decided to go out! So… back to cheekys it was!!! Some of the guys from our house were working, and it was a cool night!

Both myself and Jodie weren’t working and along with the rest of our house, we were getting a bit bored. It was raining a lot and as we had gone through nearly a the DVD’s in video easy we decided to do some arts and crafts!
Gem, Jodie and I went to ‘crazy clarks’ and stocked up on colouring pens, paper, glue, colouring in books etc etc!!
For our first mission, we decided to make paper mashie animal masks! 4 of us blew up a balloon and soaked small squares of paper (well, it was actually the yellow pages… repercussions to come later!!) in a big bowl of glue, flour and water. Over the nest couple of days we put a layer on, waited for it to dry, put another layer on, let it dry….
Though, I got slightly restless and couldn’t keep waiting for it to dry so on the second day I decided to put a layer of pink paper on.. (as I was making a pig!!). I then made some ears, a snout from a take away coffee cup and little trotters from toilet roll tubes!! I cut a hole in the bottom for my head (mines more of a mask than a mask!) and the finishing touch was a curly pink tail!!!
Jodie made a rat, which at the moment is looking menacingly at me from the coffee table! Its pretty scary and fits right over his head.. it still has phone book skin but a few cocktail stick whiskers, differentiate it from the usual ‘post code section’! no-one else really bothered to finish theirs but I suppose that’s the kid in me!!

The coloring in book proved a fantastic purchase, me and gem decorated a very boring picture of a wave in our room, and spent hours laughing at the random pictures inside!!

We’ve only got a couple of weeks left in Byron now… we decided it was time to move on...

(well, its also due to the fact that me and gemma almost got evicted from our house because of noise complaints... us? noisy????!! apparently the neighbours complained and told our landlord.. so we got called into her office and were told off like little girls in the headmasters office!!! we denied it and swore to her that we were always tucked up in bed by 10 o clock... until she showed us a text message that said it was two english girls in the front room making all the noise!!! ha ha!)

so we thought i was time to leave and continue our adventure….!!

I hope alls well and sending loads of love to you all x x x x x x











Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

yummy!!yummy!!
yummy!!

our party for hayley!


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb