Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
May 14th 2007
Published: May 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Right...

we just caught the bus on saturday... sooooo early! XS
got to Byron, and there were 10000's of people with billboards, trying to get us to go to their hostel. as we have YHA cards, we went to the YHA. she said if we booked 3 nights, it would be $26. which is okay... seeing as most of the places here are around $30. so we got a ride in the YHA van to the hostel, and got a tour around byron. we then looked at the prices at the YHA... and she liiiieeeed. so we found a really cheap hostel around the corner. heh heh heh.
spent the whollle day on the beach. but it clouded over... and the clouds built up coz for some reason they wouldnt go over the mountains in the west 😞 so it got cold. and we went back to the hostel for a BBQ. which was v tasty.

Sunday it RAINED. and was v depressing. kate and i got up late (no point in rising early...😞 ) then booked our Fraiser Island and Whitsunday sailing. we are going on a racing boat called Condor (which has won a few international racing comps... i checked after i spoke to mum... so it could be 'of bermuda' but i dont know for sure...) we were torn between the 'party' boat, where you sleep in a resort on the island and dont do any actual sailing, and condor (which is hardcore sailing!) after changing our minds about 4 times, we went with the racing yacht...

Byron sucks in the wet. there is nothing to do when the sun isnt shining. except come on the internet.

which is theoretically why im here... but the sun has come out since ive been in here...

this morning, kate, a canadian girl from our room and i got up at 5.30 and power walked to the Cape Byron Lighthouse, which is at the most eastern point in Australia and we watched the sun rise. we only just made it tho! and there were some awfully heavy clouds on the horizon too... but it was so worth the trek up the hill! we then walked back to our hostel along the beach and watched all the surfers in the water.
I did intend to learn to surf whilst im here... but i think my waterfall experience has scarred me for life! i went in the water on saturday and was swept under one of the waves... and it was horrible... all the water crashing down... and the pressure of it on my head and the lack of breathing ability...
so perhaps not such a great idea! not right now anyway. the current here is so strong... its so easy to get swept into the waves and potentially out to sea. we had to walk right down the other end of the beach... and after about 10mins we were way past where we put our stuff on the beach... its ridiculously powerful.
*rambles*

kate and i then fell asleep on the beach (instead of going back to bed... which was far more pleasant!). it got really cold after lunch with all those clouds... hence why im here.
im comming to detest beaches... you can keep applying suncream, but you also apply a layer of sand at the same time. i had to have a shower when i got back because there was just a paste of suncream/sand all over me!

anyway. kate wants to leave... and i think we are going to head to another internet cafe to upload photos. this one is free... but i cant put any photos up 😞


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb