News Flash - News Flash - Read all about it!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
August 30th 2012
Published: August 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jim Loses his Camera in Broken Hill



What a story this is and it’s all true. Believe me! Wayne said that I could not make this up when we told him what had happened today.



Here’s how it developed. Yesterday (22nd August) – our only full day in Broken Hill Sue and I decided to do the rounds of the Art Galleries – Yes “us” in Art Galleries is unbelievable for a start, but if you know Broken Hill you will know that this place is famous for it’s artists. Most famous would be “Pro” Hart. Pro passed away a few years ago and a Gallery has been set up in his honour. We went there and were able to take photos of his work and his studio, which was exactly as he left it before he died. Everything basically untouched – including his jacket slung over the back of his chair – just as he left it.

Before this we had been to his daughter’s (Julie) gallery. Her work is very much after Pro’s style and in fact there are some paintings there which were done by both of them. Julie told us that all Pro’s 5 children are artists. We knew that she had a brother (Kim) who was an artist as we had bought one of his paintings about 10 years ago. Meeting Julie and visiting Pro’s gallery was special. We bought a print of Pro’s and also one of Julie’s for Ryan.

Next we went to Howard William Steer’s gallery and studio. Howard is the artist who includes a “Flying Doctor” in many of his works. The doctor is shown as a “doctor” in a black suit with wings flying across the sky. His work is quite comical and Sue has always liked to have one of his paintings. We were taken with 2 of his paintings and could not decide which one to purchase. In the end he made us an offer we couldn’t refuse – so we bought both. We even got a photo of us and Howard with the paintings. So that pretty much used up our day apart from some grocery shopping.

When we got home and unpacked the groceries I discovered that my camera was missing. The last time it was used was at Howard’s, so I rang his home and mobile without raising him. Then I had a horrible thought – I think I’ve left it on the bonnet of the truck when I was juggling the painting and getting keys out to open the back of the truck. Sh*t!!! OK – so I took off to retrace our steps after Howards place – no luck. Buggar!! Nothing I can do tonight so have a beer and go to bed – it may still be at Howard’s – I’m not sure. While I’m having a beer I ring police station – No nothing handed in today. They give me a phone number to ring to report it missing – which I do. Phone rings and it’s Howard returning my call. He’s out at an ABC do and wont be home until late so I ask him to ring in morning with any news



The next day Leckies and Hartners leave at 7.00am for Cobar. We get packed and drive around to Howards at 8.00am. We arrive to find him opening the gate and news that camera is not there. His wife had him looking everywhere for it. Howard is feeling really sorry for us and grabs an original painting off the wall and gives it to us saying “We can’t have you leaving Broken Hill with a bad impression.” We protest but he insists and Sue likes the painting too much to keep protesting too long.

OK Jim next step is to retrace our steps again and go to Coles where we had shopped yesterday – searching the road on the way as it is now clear that I had put the camera on the bonnet and left it there. No luck there.

Gaile had suggested that the Visitor Information Centre may be a place where someone would take it to if they looked at the photos and saw that we were travelling. Off we go trailing our caravan behind us. Not easy to find parking for a truck and caravan in the CBD of even Broken Hill. We do though – outside Information Centre. We go in and speak with Cory – nothing handed in but he suggests we put and advert in local paper. OK worth a go – so around the corner to the Barrier Daily Truth (BDT) and put an advert in for 3 days ($36). Next stop a personal visit to Police Station (we drive there and I have to drop Sue off and go and find a park) to see if it’s turned up there. No luck – but just as Sue returns Cory rings me on my mobile to tell me an Aboriginal bloke has just handed in a camera that fits description of mine. Yippee – let’s head back to Info Centre (and find another park for a 50 foot rig) and check it out.

Sure enough it’s our camera. What luck and what a decent bloke for handing it in. Cory said the bloke is a bus driver and his name is Tony. We want to give him a reward so Cory rings his employer as he didn’t get a contact number from him. He had rushed in and dropped the camera off and did not have time to explain as he had a bus full of passengers waiting for him. His employer says that he will be on a break at 10.00am and will get him to give us a call. In the meantime Howard rings me to see how things are going. I tell him the good news. He is delighted for us and when I suggest that we will be coming back he says “No, No No you don’t have to do that.” Obviously he was thinking that we were going to return the painting he had given us – which we were.

Alright – now we should see if we can cancel the “Lost” advertisement! We are still with Cory and he suggests that this would be a “Good News” story for the BDT. Hey that’s a good idea Cory we’ll suggest that when we cancel the advert. Hey, Cory how did you get my mobile phone number (I had not left it with him when asking if anyone had handed camera in)? Cory had rung BDT as he knew we were going there and we had put phone number into advertisement.

Returning to BDT we ask for editorial dept. “Down hallway – last door on left”. Five desks and one young lady there – we tell our story and she checks with another young lady who sits us down and takes notes. We tell all including how Howard Steer gave us a painting and how now that the camera has been returned we should return painting but Howard refuses to take it back. She asks where the painting is – In our caravan along the road we reply. I think there is a good story for Broken Hill in this she says - I’ll send a photographer along to take a photo of you two with the painting.

We go back to caravan and get painting and photographed. Photographer says Howard wont take it back.

Now we need a coffee so back inside Visitor Information Centre where they have a nice café. We are enjoying a coffee when phone goes – It’s Tony. Can we come and see you – we want to give you a reward. No you don’t need to do that he says. But I can meet you at Visitor Centre. He comes down and we have a long chat about how he came across the camera.

He had found it in the middle of the road while driving his bus not far from Howard Steer’s Gallery. He took it home and was not sure how to work it but eventually managed to look at the photos and realised that it belonged to someone travelling – it had shots of our caravan and ute. It also had a shot of Noah and that broke him up and he said he had to find the owners. He was going to go around the caravan parks in search of owners. He also told us that while he was trying to work out how to work the camera he took a photograph of the sandwich he was having by mistake.

Anyway while driving his bus down the main street of Broken Hill this morning he saw our caravan and ute in a side street outside Visitor Centre and recognised it as one in camera photos. He detoured from his route with a bus full of passengers and raced in and handed over camera to Cory in the Visitor Information Centre as he thought that the owner must be in there.

Not quite the end of the story though. We gave him a $50 note - which he finally took – reluctantly. He then informed us that he is a direct decendant of David Unaipon - the Aboriginal person on that note and that he went to the church that is also shown on it. (Google him and see his story).

Ok now back to Howard Steers to return the painting – but as indicated by the photographer he refused – initially - until we insisted. However I did have to tell him that we told the reporter that he had refused to take it back so he then absolutely refused to take it – and Sue was pleased he did.

On leaving Howard’s Studio (for the last time) he said to us – there is a reason for all this you know – “We could end up by being really good mates”. I agreed with him and we invited him to meet us when he was next on the gold Coast.

Now if anyone would like to see the article on us that was in the newspaper just log a comment on the blog or send a request to jandsscott@bigpond.com or jscott@thiess.com.au

I have not been able to include it here as pdf's are not accepted.

Advertisement



31st August 2012

Were both the young ladies at the BDT attractive or just the one? Wasn't sure how to interpret it

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb