Broken Hill


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
July 4th 2018
Published: July 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Billy the GoatBilly the GoatBilly the Goat

We had an early morning visitor at the Spring Hill rest area.
While having breakfast, we were visited by Billy, the goat. He was very friendly and shared some raisin toast with us. We spent the day visiting Broken Hill. First stop was the information centre, where we joined a 2 hour tour of the city. The whole town is heritage listed and after viewing some of the buildings in the main street, one could understand why. We were informed that there are no free camp sites near Broken Hill as its a 'national park'. After having a chat with a few locals, we were discouraged to camp in the rest areas or the roadside. So, we bit the bullet and dropped T.J off at the Broken Hill Caravan Park for safety reasons.

We visited Silverton and checked out a 40 acre cemetery. It had a nice monument at the entrance but there was an eerie feeling about this area, it's filled with Australian history. We stopped by at the local jail but thought a cold beer at the Silverton Pub would be nicer. We had a quick look at the Mad Max museum before heading back into town. We visited the mine lookout, which had a great view of Broken Hill.
Billy the GoatBilly the GoatBilly the Goat

Billy joined us for breakfast. He had some white bread, raisin toast and cereal with milk.
Back to T.J for dinner and a few beverages before bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

A mural of the Ghan.
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

The Palace Hotel, where the movie Priscilla Queen of the Desert was filmed.
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

The Palace Hotel is located across the war memorial.
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

A monument of a World War 1 soldier facing the pub, depicting the action of throwing a grenade. The tour guide said, "That soldier is probably not Aussie, because an Aussie would never throw a bomb at the pub!"
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

The Court House in Broken Hill, still displaying the British coat of arms.
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

A piece of art outside the TAFE titled "The Last Drop". Broken Hill had a shortage of water during the drought and water was transported by train. A pipeline was installed to channel water from Menindee to Broken Hill.
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

The local cop shop.
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

A mural created by a local.
Broken HillBroken Hill
Broken Hill

A Pro Hart sculpture in a park, symbolising the everyday lives of the miners.
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

Welcome to Silverton, where Mad Max was filmed.
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

A typical miner's hut.
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

A memorial outside the cemetery where majority of the miners were laid to rest. There were many mining accidents.
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

A bit of history about the miners.
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

Silverton jail.
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

Silverton pub where we enjoyed a cold beer.
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

Wild donkeys at Silverton being fed carrots by a local
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

John Dynon art gallery in Silverton
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

An artwork by local artist John Dynon
SilvertonSilverton
Silverton

Daniel enjoying a cold beer at Silverton pub.


6th July 2018

Safe travels
Enjoy and be safe lots of love mum and dad

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb