Slow trip Toowoomba to Melbourne


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Armidale
February 4th 2014
Published: February 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hmmm.

Note to self. Test the local "free" WIFI site "before" typing out a large blog. Just wasted half an hour when I tried to save it and it came back saying it couldn't down load the file even though it allowed me to connect. Grrrrr. It had no way back to recover my work.

Now back to the job at hand. We haven't logged any blogs for a couple of days as we have been flat out touring the Armidale district.

First up, we headed along Waterfall Way for the Wollomombi National Park and gorge etc. Spectacular in it's own right even though it has been too dry for any water to still be flowing over the falls. The flora was very Australian with eucalypts everywhere., but it is very dry and they need rain badly. On the way out of the park we came across a very healthy Lyre Bird foraging for breakfast by the side of the road and he wasn't bothered in the slightest by our presence or getting his picture taken.

Moving on from there we headed for the New England National Park and the Point Lookout. The contrast in Flora here was unbelievable as it was almost rainforest. I.e. Moss on all the trees with ferns and fern trees everywhere and very dense undergrowth. The Mountain was draped in fog and mist, but this just added to the mystique of the mountain.

On the way out of the park we stopped at one of the recommended free camp sites (Styx camp) and I must say we have added this to our log to return to and spend some time in the future. absolutely beautiful with a small mountain fresh water stream running past & and we are told it is stocked with trout from the local hatchery. Bonus!

On the way back to Waterfall Way we stopped in at the Trout Hatchery and did a short tour which was very educational and very much worth the $5 fee.

From there we headed towards Ebor, Ebor Falls and the picnic area for a well earned feast that we had pre packed.

The Falls looked great as they are the only ones that still have water running over them as they are apparently spring fed.

Enjoy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb