Newcastle


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Albury
January 6th 2011
Published: January 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well the camera I was loaned, went on the fritz on the way to Newcastle. We took it to a camera shop and the sensor is gone so it won't take pictures. The camera man said they had some recalls on these so it is probably under warranty and that it will have to be sent to the factory for warranty which could be 6 to 8 weeks.

Lynda took pictures with her phone and Gavin hasn't had the time to see if we can get them on the blog.soooooooooo

On the way to Newcastle I was very surprised to see a full sized submarine in a park along the road. Many of the men who served aboard her were from that little town and when they found out it was to be decommissioned they bought it and built a park around for the kids and anyone who feel like it can crawl all over it, and since it is summer holidays here there were alot of people doing just that.

The kids go back to school on January 31.

Newcastle is a beautiful city reminiscent of Seattle. The hills are steeper and there are palm trees. wild cockatoos and kookaburro that laugh a silly laugh when they call to each other. It is very green just like the coast of Northern California.

The beaches are absolutely gorgeous white sand. We didn't get to enjoy them except from a distance as there was a storm at sea and the waves were coming in at 8 to 10 feet high. Gavin's daughter Kate said even her friends who are surfers said it was too rough for them.

It was very intersting, at one of the beaches they have a swimming pool on the beach that fills with sea water and protects the swimmers, but there was no one in there as it was too rough.

We spent 2 nights with Lynda's friend James and he took us sight seeing around the city and harbor. We got to see a big ship leaving the harbor and another comming in and it was less that an 1/8 of a mile away. The harbor is beautiful as they have built a park way along it for walking, sitting, biking or whatever is your interest.

The trip from here to there was like traveling thru parts of our western states that I have driven thru. It always amazes me that you can be half way round the world and still see country that is so like ours.

I was disappointed that the only animals that I got to see were road kill. Saw 3 kangaroos and 5 wombats that we could identify.

Today were have just had a quiet day resting up and tomorrow I will go to one of the community center that Lynda manages, with her friend who will be baking her birthday cake and I will be making my ginger cookies. The center has a commercial kitchen in it and it will keep from running us out of the house with the heat. That was her request as well as every one in the family that she has shared with when I have sent them for Christmas. Now they are renown in Guatamala and Australia. Saturday will be the party and then on Sunday we will be off to the coast south and west of here to see more country and meet more friends that can't make the party for one reason or another.

Hopefully we will be able to get some pictures next time

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb