The Road Trip Begins...


Advertisement
Published: January 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone! We reluctantly left Sydney on Friday, we've both completely fallen in love with the city as it's just so relaxed and the weather is certainly different from home. We did a couple more touristy things like walking across the harbour bridge and having a tour of the Sydney Opera House. It is such a stunning building, you don't realise how amazing it is until you're standing right next to it so that was a great thing to do. We also went to Taronga Zoo which you get to by ferry and is built on a slope with beautiful views over the harbour. The highlight was definetly a baby gorilla which was only 1 1/2 weeks old!

We picked up our campervan, Mavis, from a slightly dodgy suburb but she is certainly a beaut, a 1996 Ford Econovan Pop-Top! We headed straight down the south coast, Issie has to do all the driving as I can't so I just enjoy the view with the occasional bit of navigating.
We stopped for our first night in Jervis Bay which is your typical perfect white sands and pure blue sea kind of place, hard to believe we'd been in Sydney that morning. We carried on down the coast on our second day stopping in Batemans Bay which was also really gorgeous even though we had a bit of a storm that night and had to huddle in Mavis.
Yesterday we headed inland and are staying at a campsite in Queanbeyan, just outside Canberra. Issie had a bit of a near death experience parking the van as our pitch backed onto a very steep, long slope down to the river and somehow found herself teetering on the edge. Luckily the aussies are very nice and a fellow camper towed us to safety with his rather more substantial 4x4. All safe and well now though!
Today we caught a bus into Canberra which seems a bit of an odd city. It feels wierd to have the capital of a country as huge as Australia built from nothing just because they needed a capital. It's mainly just offices and cafes but apparently they have a fantastic art gallery which we're hoping to find this afternoon.
We're really enjoying campervanning so far despite using campsite loos and nothaving much space. It's good to have so much freedom and we've found some really funny little towns in the middle of nowhere as well as passing through some of the best landscapes I've ever seen.
Will try and keep this updated but we've really noticed the lack of Internet cafes since Asia and everything is horribly expensive compared to life there! Anyway hope you're all well, lots of love, Cordy and issie X


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0181s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb