Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon


Advertisement
North America
September 24th 2015
Published: September 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

 Jerome AR Jerome AR Jerome AR

The town on the side of a hill
The next day's journey took us to Cottonwood, Jerome and Sedona, AZ. Cottonwood is a central location from which we can easily access both Jerome and Sedona.

Jerome is an old, old gold mining town located on the side of a hill in an isolated desert landscape. Now it is the home of Artists selling their wares to all the tourists who come to see their work. The streets of Jerome are very narrow and wind up the steep hillside and there is nowhere to park. Several interesting buildings caught our eye, some being old Roman Catholic churches.

We drove into Sedona for lunch and a leisurely walk around the town. This is one of the most picturesque and interesting towns I have encountered. This is also where Dwain bought his "old as dirt" t-shirts and he was able to get a couple of new ones from the same store we visited five years ago. Again there are many Art and Craft stores selling Native pottery, jewelry, hand woven articles and clothing. Also Art and photography stores, restaurants, Tour guides etc.

On our drive back to Flagstaff we went through Oak Creek Canyon where you drive along the
 Jerome, AR Jerome, AR Jerome, AR

History of Jerome
bottom of this massive canyon with steep walls on either side. This is the kind of place that would experience flash flooding after heavy thunderstorms!! There is a State Park in the Canyon called Slick Rock State Park. A wonderful place to bring the family for a day's outing. Back in 1925 this was a large apple orchard and the packing building is still standing. Now visitors can enjoy the beautiful park area and swim in the river, using the slick stones, smoothed by the rushing water, as natural water slides. Again the safety of this area would depend on the depth of the water level.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

 Jerome, AR Jerome, AR
Jerome, AR

History of Jerome
 Jerome, AR Jerome, AR
Jerome, AR

Beautiful building on a rock
 Jerome, AR Jerome, AR
Jerome, AR

Prickly Pear Cactus
 Sedona, AR Sedona, AR
Sedona, AR

This beautiful metal sculpture of the dancers is set on a wheel so you can twirl them to look like they are really dancing!
 Sedona, AR Sedona, AR
Sedona, AR

Another sculpture in the town
 Sedona, AR Sedona, AR
Sedona, AR

Along the city street
 Sedona, AR Sedona, AR
Sedona, AR

Sculpture of an artist painting the scenery while a little girl watches
 Sedona, AR Sedona, AR
Sedona, AR

Parking lot in town
 Slick Rock State Park, AR Slick Rock State Park, AR
Slick Rock State Park, AR

Apple packing building
 Slick Rock State Park, AR Slick Rock State Park, AR
Slick Rock State Park, AR

Natural water slide


Tot: 1.993s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb