Day 3 - San Francisco Alcatraz and Sausalito


Advertisement
North America
April 20th 2014
Published: April 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Early start breakfast at McDonalds then 0845 ferry to Alcatraz prison. Awesome ferry trip, beautiful weather, great tour. We were told to expect an eerie feeling, but weather was so nice it was all generally pretty good. The prison is pretty run down, but interesting to see how and where the prisoners made their breaks for freedom. Would also have been a primes pot to enjoy Americas Cup racing from...

Quick stop at the hotel then off on rented bikes over the Golden Gate Bridge and over to Sausalito. Fairly decent bike, around 13 km's in all. Amazing views from bridge if you can be distracted from all the traffic flying by at a great rate of knots.

Surprised at one point by a deer jumping out of the bush in front of us as we cycled along...too quick for a photo though.

Sausalito was lovely but we had been warned you could wait 2 hours in line for the ferry to get back so we got straight on board. After dropping off the bikes enjoyed an authentic Italian meal surrounded by loud Yankees...great!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The dummy head...The dummy head...
The dummy head...

...used to fool guards in the escape...
The escape hatch!The escape hatch!
The escape hatch!

...don't think many of us could fit through there!
Shiree and LiamShiree and Liam
Shiree and Liam

...stopped on way up to bridge.
Gary and ShireeGary and Shiree
Gary and Shiree

Stopped on the Golden Gate Bridge. Gary stopped near here 20 years ago, but on the eastern side of bridge.


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb