A2 RIHLA #20


Advertisement
North America
March 5th 2013
Published: March 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. How does piracy continue to exist in the modern world?

Piracy thrives as a highly profitable method in unstable regions such as Somalia. In the past few years, Somali pirates have hijacked hundreds of ships, netting in hundreds of millions of dollars.

2. In way ways has piracy seemed to have change from earlier times of exploration?

Many pirates during the earlier times of exploration often only looted ships for their valuables. Nowadays, pirates take crew members hostage and demanded ransom for their return.

3. How are authorities trying to combat the problem? Do you think there are other solutions? Explain fully.

Authorities are carrying out strike at the bases of the pirates using combat helicopters. They are also increasing patrols around the Indian ocean to pursue pirates at sea and also to attack their bases. I don't think there are better alternatives because what they're doing increases the European Union's involvement while limiting risk and resources as much as possible.

4. Do you think piracy is ever justifiable?

In most cases, piracy is never justifiable because the effects of piracy can disrupt trade and damage a nation's economy, not to mention putting lives of crew members from the ships they plundered at risk. However, in some cases, piracy may offer an alternative. For example, pirates during the golden age of piracy actually practice a form of democracy. The captain was picked by voting from every crew member onboard the ship.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb