rihla #19


Advertisement
North America
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Banned Books




What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?






"Sex, profanity, and racism remain the primary categories of objections, and most occur in schools and school libraries. Frequently, challenges are motivated by the desire to protect children. While the intent is commendable, this method of protection contains hazards far greater than exposure to the “evil” against which it is leveled."




Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.




I personally do not agree with the reasons I stated above. I understand the fact that the schools are trying to protect children, but I don't think they are coming about it the right way.



What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?

I do not agree with the fact that my teacher wouldn't be able to bring up real topics in the classroom; for example, sex, drugs, alcohol, and violence. The teacher should educate the students on the right bases wrong. Not hide the fact that these issues do not exist.

Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach?




I think parents, the school board, and the students themselves pressure teachers on what they should and shouldn't teach.




If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.




They are many ways to fight book censorship. Some of the way are the following: Subscribe to print and online news publications, Join groups committed to preserving the right to read, Attend school board, library board, and PTA meetings, Write letters to public officials, Form a coalition to oppose censorship in your community, and many others.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb