A3 Whitworth RIHLA # 8


Advertisement
North America
November 6th 2011
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

During Roman times marriage wasn't about love but more so about improving wealth or class among the family. When men were in their mid twenties and girls in their early teens their parents would come together and start making decisions pertaining to their future. The family would talk to others around them and set up an arrangement that would benefit both families without considering the man or woman's thought on their marriage. In order to lawfully become husband and wife, both partners would have to be roman citizens. Not only that, but other restrictions were put on for marriage. You were not able to marry prostitutes, actresses, or  to close family members. If wives were unfaithfully and divorced then they to were not able to marry. There would be a ceremony followed by a written agreement, kiss,  gifts were exchanged along with a feast and party for all of the guests. Just like we have traditions today like wearing something old, new, borrowed, and blue back then the husband would carry his wife over the threshold to avoid a bad omen, the woman would wear white, a orange veil, along with orange shoes. In todays's society where we live I'm glad we have the choice to marry whomever instead of being forced. 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb