RHILA#7


Advertisement
North America
October 31st 2011
Published: November 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Kingdom of Axum

Organized Government

Aksum was run by rulers. One of the strongest ruler was Ezana who determined to establish and expanded his authority. He took control over the Kushities and part of the Arabian peninsula.

 Complex Religion

Traditionally believed in one god. They referred to their god as Mahrem and believed their king was directly descended from him.

They also worshiped the spirits of nature and honored their dead ancestors.

Aksum diverted to Christianity after a ruler named Ezana took over the kingdom and set Christianity as the kingdoms official religion. 

 Job specialization/Agriculture

They created method of agriculture, terrace farming. This new type of agriculture heaped the kingdom of Aksum increase the productivity of their lands.

Built dams and cisterns, or holding tanks, to store water.  

 Public Works

Access to sea trade on the Mediterranean sea and Indian ocean helped aksum become an international trading power.

Merchants traded salt and luxuries such as rhinoceros horns, tortoise shells, ivory, emeralds, and gold

Arts & Architecture

Carved stones to fit together tightly instead of using mortar to build things. 

Built large towering stone pillars, or stele, to celebrate Aksum's achievements. 

http://sharepoint.chiles.leon.k12.fl.us/mcneilt/Textbook%20for%20World%20History/Chapter%2008/Ch%208%20Sec%203.pdf

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 990.2kb