NEW YORK, NEW YORK


Advertisement
North America
June 1st 2011
Published: October 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

New York – City of lights, over-crowding, Central Park & Pizza



So, we decided it would be a really smart idea to sink copious amounts of alcohol for our overnight flight to help us ‘sleep’ better on the plane … lets just say I would NEVER recommend this stupid idea to anyone …

We boarded our 6 hour flight to New York and within half an hour of take-off Duane and I were nicely asleep/passed-out…. For about an hour. So 1.5 hours into our 6 hour overnight flight we awoke, hungover as hell looking for a brown paper bag and some water!! Lets just say the water on the planes taste like cr*p but at this stage it didn’t matter – we couldn’t get enough of the stuff. I was agitated due to all the sugar I had in my system from those amazing Sour Apple Martinis that now don’t seem like such a great idea after all ….

We land 4.5 hours later in New York, with only 1 hours sleep thanks to our ‘bright idea’ of drinking before the flight and no transport booked. We waited an hour and managed to get on a shuttle however it didn’t seem as well organised as the one in LA. We spent an hour driving around the airport terminals trying to find more passengers to fill the shuttle and then we were off into the New York madness….. 2 hours later we were still in the shuttle, unable to sleep, realizing that we were still a long way from getting to our hotel. I had had enough of driving, driving and driving and HAD to get to our hotel – there was no way I was spending another moment in that shuttle … so Duane had a quick word with the driver and realized we were going to be dropped off last and would be probably another hour or two before we got there … Duane then asked the driver to pull over and we got out … the shuttle drove off and we stood there wondering what the heck to do next … oh, that’s right we are in New York – the city of the yellow cab!! So, into a yellow taxi it was and we were at our hotel within 5 minutes!! Wish we had of done that sooner!

Checked in, and straight to bed, it felt like we were wasting the day but at this point we really didn’t care, New York was way to overwhelming in the state we were in and we were starting to wonder if traveling was for us or if staying in our safe, comfortable home-town was more our style … goodnight …

3 hours later we were up, with a fresh outlook and ready to discover New York … and WOW – what a place. First stop was some authentic New York Slice Pizza – MMMmmMMMM it was awesome! HUGE, thin crispy base and so damn cheap. That evening we went to 5 Napkin Burger for dinner where they ask you how you would like your patty cooked?! Its so thick they treat it like a steak … ahhhh well done for me thanks – you should never see blood come from a patty! We also made sure we requested that our burger have lettuce and tomato added, they looked at us like we were crazy but patty and bun just isn’t our style. It was the best damn burger EVER! (oh actually Ferg burger in Queenstown NZ is probably better but this one was good). Then it was off to Chicago on Broadway, and we then checked out Time Square. It really is the city that never sleeps.

The next morning it was an early start and off to Central Park – we spent most of the day discovering Central Park – it is HUGE!! We took a row boat out on the lake, had lunch at the restaurant and dreamed of living in NYC and spending lunch hours at Central Park ….

A bit more shopping, some more shopping and a little but more shopping and we were off. We didn’t want to leave – we LOVED New York. It was a rough start to the city but we got over the culture shock, relaxed and realized we have to come back some day! Still so much more to see ….

Next Stop – VEGAS BABY!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb