Rihla#2


Advertisement
North America
September 20th 2011
Published: September 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

1. How does this article relate to what we are learning in class?
This Relates to class because we were talking about change, and how in the agricultural revolution men were in charge, the dominants as some would say.through out history men have always been in charged. They have been the ones that bring the money home. This article relates to what we are doing in class because it shows how even though we are in a different time women are still treated unfairly. It doesn't matter if both women and men have the same amount of experience the men would be paid more than the women. Therefore, this would tradition us into a new era in history where women have spoken out, yet there is still inequality in our society.

2. What did I learn from this article?
I learned from this article that even though women and men have studied the same amount, have the same experience, and applied for the same job the man would earn more money then women just because he is a man. Studies say that men make more money is because women tend to work mostly in teaching and in nursing. In a way males have a better paying job because of their gender, which is unfair.

3. What about this article caused me to a) have a personal reaction and/or b) ask a question? Please refer to direct quotes from the article that struck you as being important or interesting as you answer this question.
When I first read this article I infuriated. It gets me mad when there is inequality between men and women. There shouldn't be and inequality just because one person is a man and the other is a women. If women have the same degree, same experience, and works better than men then the women should get paid more than a man that has her same job. In the article it states that, "A 2000 study, for instance, famously found that after symphony orchestras introduced blind auditions, requiring musicians to perform behind a screen, women became more likely to get the gig" (Laura Fitzpatrick, Why Do Women Earn Less Than Men?) if people knew the great work women do then there wouldn't be an inequality. Imagine what will happen to future generation of young women they will only try to get a job not that great because of the inequality.this passage just get me mad that women are not treated equally because some women are a lot better than men. They only question I have is why do we still have the inequality. Why can't we just be equals and earn the same amount of money no matter the gender.Some quotes that struck out the most to me was when men go into surgery to have a sex change to be women their wages are lower by 32%, and if women go under the surgery to become males their wages go up by1.5%. It is amazing how society still has the criteria that men are still in demand, which should not be true.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb