Fredericksburg, Tx


Advertisement
North America
March 4th 2010
Published: March 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Fredericksburg is a small, picturesque town located arout seventy miles to the northwest of San Antonio. It was founded around the middle of the 19th century by German immigrants and named after Prince Frederick of Prussia. Along the main street running through town are located many restaurants and other shops which appeal to the tourist trade. One can find good German food and beer in abundance here. There are also several bed and breakfast establishments located in the area.

Enchanted Rock State Park is located about twenty miles northeast of Fredericksburg. This is the destination of hikers and backpackers as well as others who enjoy a day of hiking in an area of the scenic Texas hill country. The view from the top of Enchanted Rock is well worth the climb getting there. It's also a good way to get some exercise. Many tourists include this in their itinerary when they visit Fredericksburg.

The Pioneer Museum is a complex of old buildings, some of which date back well over a century or more. Among the structures here are a log cabin, fire museum, bathhouse, and school building. Some of the buildings are open to the public while others must be viewed from the outside. A few blocks away is the Verins Kirche which is an extension of the museum. This place was the first public building in the town and served as a townhall, school, church, and fort. The Pioneer Museum is located on the main street in Fredericksburg.

Perhaps the main attraction in Fredericksburg is the National Museum of the Pacific War which used to be known as the Admiral Nimitz Museum. This is quite a museum and one should be sure to visit it when in Fredericksburg. There's actually several parts to the museum and a ticket is valid for two days. There's the first part which one enters from Main Street. It houses a lot of memorabilia of the war such as photos and other items which were donated by individuals. One exits this building into an area which has a ship's propeller fastened to a pedestal. Next to it is a Japanese Peace Garden which is a serene and tranquil place with plants and flowing water. A Japanese style house is located at the end. Outside of the next building are several artillery and field pieces. In front of the building are deck guns from naval vessels. Inside are more exhibits including several films which one can activate by pressing the button. The last part of the museum is a couple of blocks down the street and is the only part in which a guide is required. The tours start on the hour and last about an hour. Here, one is confronted by more deck guns from naval vessels as well as huge shells, hedgehogs, a torpedo, and a mine. Once inside, there are aircraft, tanks, an amphibious vehicle, artillery pieces, and other military equipment. There's even a PT boat of the type that President John F. Kennedy commanded during the war. The outside area is constructed to resemble a South Pacific island complete with cement and sandbag fortifications and palm trees. It gives one a feeling of being back in time on a remote island in the Pacific theater of WWII. If you enjoy touring military museums, this one will not disappoint you and you should allow yourself several hours to tour this place.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb