St. Lucia


Advertisement
North America
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

St. Lucia is part of the lesser Antilles and was named for St. Lucy of Syracuse. It was first visited by Europeans around 1500 and colonized by the French in 1660. Great Britain took control of the island from 1663 to 1667 and went to war with France fourteen times over ownership of the island. Finally, the British took control of the island in 1814, the same year that they were defeated by the Americans in the battle of New Orleans. Representative government came around 1924 and the island was a member of the Federation of the West Indies from 1958 to 1962. Later, it became an independant state of the Commonwealth of Nations.

There's a statue of Charles Eugene Gabriel de la Croix, the Marquis de Castries, in the town of Castries, which was named after this imposing figure. He was minister for the French navy and colonies from 1780 to 1787. His biography reveals that he distinguished himself in seventeen battles and was instrumental in negotiations at the Treaty of Versailles in 1783 which ensured that St. Lucia would remain a French colony. This happened until 1814 when the British took control of the island. Of cource, the Marquis wasn't around to witness that because he passed away in 1800.

There really isn't much to see in the town. It has some colorful old buildings, including the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, which are worth seeing when you're wandering around the place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb