The Kenai Peninsula


Advertisement
North America
July 15th 2009
Published: July 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

 Our Guide Marty  Our Guide Marty Our Guide Marty

Marty is the best guide on the Kenai in our opinion.
This just might be the most exciting area we have visited so far. The Kenai River is the "HOT SPOT" for Salmon fishing. The Salmon are running now until the end of July and there are Salmon in this river that weigh nearly 100 lbs. The world record salmon was caught here last year at just over 97 lbs. We are staying at the Kenai Princess Resort right on the Kenai River. This park will accommodate all of our rigs so we can all stay together. This resort is beautiful with a large log lodge and restaurant. The deck overlooking the river is also an inviting spot for lunch or dinner. The lodge has 86 rooms, a spa, a gym, a gift shop and a wonderful cocktail lounge offering great drinks and good music.

There are five kinds of salmon here on the Kenai. They are:
King Salmon ( Chinook) considered to be the best & largest
CoHo Salmon (silver)
Sockeye (red)
Pink ( humpies)
Chum/dog ( not known as good to eat)

We visited our friends from home, Ben and Tamara Day. Their son, Marty was our fishing guide for a day. He got us going on the
The CompetitionThe CompetitionThe Competition

There were hundreds of boats going for the King Salmon.
right gear and lures for great fishing experiences. We left the dock at 6 a.m. and at 6:15 a.m. Patti caught a 40 Lb. King Salmon so she was finished fishing for the day. The limit on a king salmon is one per day per person. Once you catch one, you are finished fishing for that day. Out of 4 boats of 4 people each, that was the only fish caught in our 6 hour trip today. We captured 18 1-1/2LB. filets of salmon and filled up the freezer. One filet will feed 4 or 5 people with a wonderful sized salmon steak. Now we will return again for Bill to catch his!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Patti reeling in the catchPatti reeling in the catch
Patti reeling in the catch

They are difficult to land but well worth the effort!
 Into the Boat he goes ! Into the Boat he goes !
Into the Boat he goes !

After about 15 minutes, he's in the boat.......finally !
Slam'in Salmon !Slam'in Salmon !
Slam'in Salmon !

Here is the big guy ! No, not Marty,.......... the fish !


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.049s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1015kb