June 8/9 Buellton, CA -Stinson Beach


Advertisement
North America
June 10th 2009
Published: June 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Scripture: Luke 10:30-37

A neighbor is one who shows mercy. That was the message Jesus was telling the religious leaders in the Good Samaritan story.

Two people were traveling on a highway up the coast of California on a motorcycle when they grew tired and wanted to stop for the night. When they saw a sign that said, "$55 per night", they turned around and went back and rang the doorbell. A young proprietor came to the door and said, "Our rooms are $110 per night." The weary traveler responded, "I thought the sign said $55." The young proprietor said, "That's the place next door. I've got to make a living and $110 is the best you will find in or around Stinson Beach. It's a full-time job explaining that sign next door.

The two weary travelers walked away -- but they did not leave. They instead walked next door and rang the doorbell. "Do you have a room?", the weary traveler asked. "Yes, I have one in back. Come with me through this gate." She led the weary travelers through the gate to a cobblestone garden path to a small attached addition in the back. "Here is a room. I hope it will be all right. I will bring you some fresh towels." The room was nothing fancy and had interesting artwork on the walls. "Here is a key to the door, the main house and to the locked gate. Breakfast will be served from 8:30 to 9:30 and I think you will like it."

"By any chance do you have a computer? We are trying to keep up on a travel blog." The woman replied, "Sure just come in the front door and you can't miss it."

I realize that we, the travelers, were not destitute nor were we injured. We were tired, but not in peril like the injured person along the road to Jericho. Yet the reaction to the two proprietors in my story were very different reactions. One was of earning a dollar (of $110 to exact), and the other was of showing hospitality. This will be a memorable and teachable time from our trip -- the spirit of hospitality. (Steve)

This Redwood Haus Bed and Breakfast at Stinson Beach was an oasis in so many ways. While I have spent countless hours on the back of our bike watching the landscape and thinking, praying, taking notes, and taking pictures, classic introverted reflection does not fully happen at 70-75 mph. I have been missing just sitting still in a quietly stimulating environment. The proprietor and her husband seem to have mastered the art of putting together "found objects" in humorous and whimsical ways. And the plants, shrubs and trees fed something inside me that I nurture at home with potted plants and flower beds. I spent about an hour just sitting and looking around the back courtyard, noticing all the tiny details. And then a big white cat (eccentrically named "Meurlot") climbed into my lap and helped complete my reflective, quiet mood. It was so good to just sit there and quietly notice little details. Everything about our stay here was wonderful and fed our spirits. It made me think of Bunyan's character "Christian" stopping at the Palace Beautiful and being refreshed. The breakfast this morning was fantastic, and when the owners found out we were Christians, they asked us to bless the house with a prayer. What a wonderful start to a day on the road headed for the Redwood Forests! Blessings (Grace).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1010.3kb