Beautiful Colorado ! So much to See!


Advertisement
North America
May 15th 2009
Published: June 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

 Murphy and Jacob Murphy and Jacob Murphy and Jacob

What a handsome couple!
There is always so much to do in Colorado ! First and most important, see the children and grandchildren ! We spent 4 days with them in Parker, Colorado and met Murhpy and Kelsey's boyfriends as well. My, they have grown up so fast. It seems like only yesterday they were babies! Iva and Abon have also grown so much since our last visit. It was wonderful to see them all again.

From there we went through Vail and Eagle , Colorado. The snow has melted and the multi-million dollar mansions are in plain sight now that the snow has melted. When snow covered, the homes blend in with the background, but in the spring and summer months they stand out vividly against the green background and the snowy peaks of the Rocky Mountains.

Next we went to Glenwood Springs through Glenwood Canyon, the road they once said could never be constructed. Well, they were wrong. The canyon section of I-70 was one of the greatest engineering achievements of the United States. It was a construction project that brought never before used construction methods to the U. S. It is fondly called "An I-70 Odyssey". It is also one
Kelsey and SeanKelsey and SeanKelsey and Sean

What a beautiful couple! Looks like love is in the air.
of the most scenic roadways in the country. The eastbound lanes of I-70 are under the westbound lanes in some parts of the canyon. So you could say it is a two story roadway through much of the canyon. The construction was started in 1980 and was finally completed in 1992. In the end, the canyon ended up with a major freeway snaking through its length using bridges, tunnels and retaining walls to create a highway that did not hurt, and even contributed to the beauty of the canyon's appearance. What a drive ! Besides the beauty of the gorgeous Rocky Mountains looming in the distance, the road runs directly along the amazing Colorado River and many rafters were out enjoying the rapids and the whitewater. So much to see, so little time !

From the canyon's end you enter Glenwood Springs, a wonderful mountain town with natural hotsprings where Bill learned to swim as a child. Further west of Glenwood is a well kept secret of a town called New Castle.

The little town of New Castle, is the Gateway to the Western Colorado Roadway and the Colorado River at a 5,550 foot elevation. New Castle was incorporated as a town of 1800 in the late 1890's from coal mining serving the Aspen and Leadville smelts. The population rapidly grew by 1900 according to the 1900 census. The present population is over 3,000. We played golf at Lakota Ridge the last time we were here. It is an amazing new golf course recently rated as one of the top five courses in America. Beautiful. We have friends there, John and Joni, who have nearly finished their new home on the mountainside with a view over the golf course and up the Glenwood Canyon. What a beautiful place !




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Another shot of  Vail Another shot of  Vail
Another shot of Vail

The homes on the mountain sides are beautiful and stand out more in the summer when the snow is melted.
 Millionaire Row Millionaire Row
Millionaire Row

Many of these homes are owned by Movie Stars and South American Oilmen.
Glenwood Canyon,  ColoradoGlenwood Canyon,  Colorado
Glenwood Canyon, Colorado

This beautiful mountain ski village is very unique. Many millionaires build homes here on the slopes. It is a beautiful mountain top for a wedding. Just ride up the lift to the top and bring the preacher along. Brings back lots of memories.
Glenwood CanyonGlenwood Canyon
Glenwood Canyon

Skeptics and even engineers said this road could never be built through this canyon. In places one lane is on top of the other. This is a beautiful drive on I-70 through the mountains. A Must Do on your list, especially in the spring when all the wild flowers are in bloom on the mountainsides.
The Colorado River is too high for fishing now.The Colorado River is too high for fishing now.
The Colorado River is too high for fishing now.

So much rain, so little time, and all the melting snow has created such high rivers in the Rockies this year. Fishing is not as good due to that but the scenery is spectacular.
What a beautiful PlaceWhat a beautiful Place
What a beautiful Place

A wonderful place, winter and summer!
John and Joni's PlaceJohn and Joni's Place
John and Joni's Place

John and Joni's new home is absolutely gorgeous and the views of Glenwood Canyon and Lakota Ridge gold course are absolutely incredible!
 Good Morning John Good Morning John
Good Morning John

We would love to build a home here.
Inside the houseInside the house
Inside the house

These pictures could never do justice to this beautiful home they have built here on the mountain in New Castle, Colorado. They have not finished the inside or the outside of the home yet. They have just moved in and have been working so hard for a year or more to bring this to reality.
Joni and the KitchenJoni and the Kitchen
Joni and the Kitchen

This photo does not do justice to this gorgeous kitchen. The ceilings are at least 20 feet high and there is so much space. The tile work is outstanding. And add the beautiful great room off the kitchen !
The view from the PatioThe view from the Patio
The view from the Patio

Here you can see Lakota Ridge golf course below and the canyon above. Beautiful !


Tot: 1.909s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb