More shenanigans


Advertisement
North America
January 22nd 2008
Published: January 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

It is 1:30 AM and Gene is in no condition to drive, so he gives the keys to Shockti. Her friend Juan, has gotten into an argument with Mirandi in Bomba’s. It is getting ugly and since she is the only one sober of the four , she makes the executive decisionthat she, Jean, and Juan need to leave.

There had been torrential rains for hours and large rocks litter the road. Shockti is angry with both Gene and Juan and tells them both to keep their mouths shut. So when Gene warns her about the large rock in the road, rather than look, she turns and tells him to stop talking. She hits the rock full on and gets a flat tire. Spare tire? Are you kidding?

So the three of them start hitchhiking. Oh, and they have to take the two surfboards with them because they won’t fit inside the truck and to leave them in the bed is asking for them to be stolen.

A car does stop, but can only accommodate two of them and the surfboards. Being the gentleman, Gene offers to stay behind. Karmi kicks in and almost immediately a dreadlocked rasta guy picks Gene up. They haven’t gone ¾’s of a mile and they come upon Shockti and Juan’s ride. It too hit has hit rock in the road and now has a flat tire. “Your friends are fucked mon. You want go to the the strip club?” “Sure”, Jean says as he waves to Shockti and Juan as they drive by.

Injury report;

By this time last year, Johan had broken his neck surfing Cane Garden Bay and another guy had his leg broken by a tarpon. This year everyone is a lot healthier. But a few injuries bear a report.

Jed had only been here a few days, maybe a week. He was riding the rights at Apple Bay. It was about three feet. He had a nice ride from the middle peak, but fell as it came into the inside. He landed flat on his ear and broke his eardrum. The doctor told him to stay out of the water for a month. If the waves get good enough, he plans to wear a bathing cap and duct tape it to his head. Probably will work okay.

Brian Luckey slipped getting out of the water and he hadn’t been keeping up with trimming his toe nails. Big mistake. He caught the nail of the big toe and ripped it off. Lots of blood. He too is using duct tape.

I am suffering from the horrible effects of O.A. ‘old age’; stiffness where you don’t want to be stiff; fatigue; and a lack of quickness. There is no cure and the disease follows a long slow course of worsening symptoms.

Everyone has flea bites, mosquito bites, rashes on the thighs from wearing wet bathing suits. Nipples are rubbed raw from laying on your chest while paddling. Mild diarrhea from who knows what. Many suffer from hangovers.
But all in all, we remain healthy.

Rules of the Road
You can speed in Tortola. You can drink and drive. But you cannot and must not drive without a seat belt. I figure they have giving up on preventing accidents and most are caused by speeding and drinking. But they don’t want you going through the windshield. Too messy. So you have to wear a seatbelt.

There is a female police officer who haunts Apple Bay and she is the Seat Belt Nazi. Most of the time she just yells at you when you drive by. But she got mad at Jack and Nancy because every time they saw her, they would pull on their seat belt while driving. She nailed them with a $100.00 fine each and a tongue lashing so severe, that both were hanging their heads in shame.


Advertisement



24th January 2008

OA
There is a great Leonard Cohen song where he says, "I hurt in the places that I used to play"...perhaps I've misinterpreted it all of these years...he is speaking of surfers!
27th January 2008

dancing queen
The international surf traveller takes a break from his caribbean adventure to fly north. To suffer in the cold. To hold the hand of nervous clients. To dance with aging baby boomers. To drink the local joe. He is a master of the smooth move. We can only dream of a life like his. But soon after returning to the Bay of Carrots, a swarm of locusts will crowd the line up. Kooks wearing hats, pre-teen girls on brightly painted surfboards pissing him off, fat old guys on logs talking design, and a stand up paddle surfer lurking at gay rights. If only the boat would run. But don't feel sorry for him. His posse is just warming up.
27th January 2008

dancing queen
The international surf traveller takes a break from his caribbean adventure to fly north. To suffer in the cold. To hold the hand of nervous clients. To dance with aging baby boomers. To drink the local joe. He is a master of the smooth move. We can only dream of a life like his. But soon after returning to the Bay of Carrots, a swarm of locusts will crowd the line up. Kooks wearing hats, pre-teen girls on brightly painted surfboards pissing him off, fat old guys on logs talking design, and a stand up paddle surfer lurking at gay rights. If only the boat would run. But don't feel sorry for him. His posse is just warming up.

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 998.9kb